Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice
Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice
Hi. A few weeks ago I received my diagnosis, and to start things off I was given my current device (ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset) and mask (ResMed AirFit F20 full face mask). The device, I believe, was originally set to [4, 16] pressures with ramp-up enabled, but I had such a hard time falling asleep with it or getting anything good out of it whenever I did that trying to sleep with it became harder to justify. Unfortunately given where I live, I'm not exactly expecting my doctor to be responsive via email, so a couple of days ago I decided, probably mistakenly but more out of frustration than anything, to have a look at the settings myself, changing them to what you see in the first screenshot after seeing some discussions here and in other places. I slept relatively okay that night and felt a bit better the following day, though it has to be said that the only reason I think I managed to fall asleep was because I struggled to stay awake for most of the day prior and ultimately took some Zopiclone (as prescribed by my psychiatrist, though I specifically avoid taking it more than twice a week).

Last night I decided to try again, this time without a sleeping pill and adjusting the pressures a bit again, but it was hell. I didn't even show the hour or so that it took me to fall asleep (and I only did because I decided to bring the min pressure back down from 8 to 7), and I woke up after less than 2 hours feeling like I was about to have a night terror attack, something I somewhat commonly struggle with. After a trip to the bathroom I gave it another go, but again I woke up after 2 hours and decided to take off the mask and sleep the rest of the night without it, even if "the rest of the night" was only another couple of hours.

I'm honestly at a bit of a loss as to how to make any of this a bit better. Falling asleep with the device without a pill has been nothing short of nightmarish and I've not been able to adapt at all. Last night I even felt like the mask (I'd love to say that getting a full face mask was my mistake, but I had no choice in the matter) was cutting into my skin a bit and had to adjust it a lot before I finally fell asleep, but my attempts on the doctor's default settings the weeks prior were no better, resulting in me going a few days without using the device just to try and catch up on some sleep no matter how bad it was. Eventually I figured I'd ask you folks. Every bit of help is appreciated.

I've also attached the data from the night I got the device. It was still awful, but given that it was on the doctor's original settings I figured it might be of use here.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice
I don't see much to change.  I think you just need to get comfortable with wearing the mask and Cpap pressure.  I would take time each night and sit up and watch TV or read a book hooked up.  Get use to the breathing in the mask   I did that for several weeks to get use to the mask.  After a week I had little if no problems going to sleep
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2023, 11:47 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I don't see much to change.  I think you just need to get comfortable with wearing the mask and Cpap pressure.  I would take time each night and sit up and watch TV or read a book hooked up.  Get use to the breathing in the mask   I did that for several weeks to get use to the mask.  After a week I had little if no problems going to sleep

Thanks. Yeah, I might just be a bit frustrated that that hasn't worked after 3 weeks. While I said that there were nights when I skipped using it just to ensure I would get some sleep, I have been practicing with it regularly during the day exactly like you said since many people mentioned that as a recommendation. I'll give it a bit more time then.

Would you recommend sticking with a min pressure of 7 and no ramp-up for the time being? As imperfect and pill-reliant as the day before yesterday was, the changes did feel like they helped, at least when glancing at the data from that night and comparing it to other nights when I took the mask off mid-sleep. I've also noticed that I can actively cause a leak to happen by tucking my chin and the graphs definitely point to a few leaks happening now and then, so I'm guessing it also wouldn't hurt to adjust my side sleeping position.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try different masks. I know it can get expensive, but worth it in the long run. I started with an Amara Vu and had all sorts of problems. Tried an F20 and was better. On a whim tried an Evora. The best i had ever done previous to that was an AHI of around 2. With the Evora i instantly was down around 0.2 and it has stayef that way (unless i am sick; during Covid my AHI was around 3-4). In my experience you just have to find the mask that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to give an update, I've gotten used to falling asleep with it, but these last few days, without fail, regardless of whether I took any sleep medication or not, I've always found myself waking up in the morning without my mask off and having absolutely no memory of me taking it off (like, it's on my desk on the side of the bed, with the straps disconnected as if I've just taken it off normally). Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with this? OSCAR said that a couple of days ago for instance, when I last took my sleep meds, I apparently took it off about an hour and a half after falling asleep and then proceeded to go back to sleep for another 7 hours without a care in the world.

Funny thing is, even like this I'm still feeling a bit of the intended effect of the CPAP, it's just that it's obviously frustrating that this keeps happening now that I'm managing to reliably fall asleep with the mask (looks like getting used to it by wearing it casually during the day really was just a matter of time, so thank you for that bit of advice!).
Post Reply Post Reply
Some people get used to the machine fast others it takes a while. It took me about 6 weeks.
Now I cannot sleep without it and once I put the mask on I fall am sleeping  in 10 minutes.

So stick with it.  Honestly it gets better.

I even had to turn UP my starting pressure recently because I couldn't even feel the starting pressure anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also woke up not knowing I had taken my mask off. I have to have a min of 9 to keep it on all night.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I've gotten used to falling asleep with the mask, but I'm definitely noticing that the trend of regularly waking up (and taking my mask off) is not going away yet. I'm starting to think that the settings might still need some adjustments though - I was able to sleep through all of last night with only one interruption, but I felt more tired than ever upon waking up and actually willingly took my mask off just to sleep another couple of hours, missing my alarm in the process.

Anyone got any clues? This is the only recent report I've got that's both longer than 3 hours and not affected by my recent Covid misadventures sadly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 23 877 04-25-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 19 708 04-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 123 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,102 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 208 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 137 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,657 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.