Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Bilateral periorbital edema
Bilateral periorbital edema
Hello, Allow me to introduce myself: I am a 78-year-old Italian citizen residing in Thailand. I have been using CPAP for about a month now and have experienced immediate benefits without any adaptability issues. I have found and installed Oscar and joined the forum, which I find very interesting. Unfortunately, I don't speak English, so I read the rules using an automatic translator, and I'm not sure if I understood them correctly. I hope not to make any mistakes. I will also translate these lines in the same way, hoping they are understandable.
Unfortunately, along with the benefits, CPAP has caused an unpleasant side effect for me. I have done a lot of research and eventually found a reputable site describing a study on this issue (I'm not sure if I can post the link, so I would appreciate confirmation if possible because I find it very interesting). The problem is described as bilateral periorbital edema, developed after starting CPAP therapy using a full-face mask. The solution was found by replacing the mask with one that leaves the upper parts of the nose free.
In my research, I found some nose and mouth masks that might solve my problem, so I'm seeking advice from those more experienced than me. The models are three:
  1. Amara View, which, in one description, seems to suggest that, despite covering the nose and mouth, it's better to breathe through the mouth. Since I breathe through the nose, is this true?
  2. Mirage Liberty uses nasal pillows that were discouraged when I bought the CPAP because I have a deviated septum and possible irritations they can cause. Can someone confirm or deny this?
  3. AirFit F30 FF seems to be the best since it doesn't have the contraindications of the others. Can someone give me advice?
Apologies for the lengthy explanation. I look forward to anyone who can provide me with some advice.
Best regards to the entire forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bilateral periorbital edema
The problem of puffy eyes (periorbital edema) with the use of a full-face mask that covers the bridge of the nose is not uncommon, and it can also cause nasal congestion by pressure on the sinus along the side of the nose. All of the masks you listed use a form of nasal pillows along with a mouth cup to prevent air from leaking out the nose. The advise given to you concerning nasal pillows is incorrect. By applying pressure directly to the opening in the nose (nares), nasal pillow masks actually inflate and open the nasal passages and encourage nasal breathing. A deviated septum is not a problem the would prevent using nasal pillows as a nasal or full-face interface. I use Resmed Airfit 10 nasal pillows and have never needed anything else, even with severe congestion from allergy, cold or flu. So don't believe everything you hear. If you can breathe through your nose, you can do it better with nasal pillows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Bilateral periorbital edema
Hello Sleeprider, thank you for your response and the clarifications you provided. I'll stop worrying about the nasal cushions. However, I think having mouth coverage as well could give me additional reassurance for better breathing. From what you wrote, it seems to me that among the types of masks I listed, the Mirage Liberty could be the best choice. Did I understand correctly?
Yesterday, I informed the company that sold me the CPAP about the issue, and today they informed me that their doctor recommended using a heated tube. This leaves me a bit perplexed since I am currently in Italy, but when I return home to Thailand, breathing warm air in a tropical climate might not be very pleasant.
Thanks again for your advice...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP and pitting edema (fluid retention) zonk 25 41,122 03-30-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  New to CPAP, Issue with Peripheral Edema Beelotus 5 2,389 12-19-2016, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Beej
  Edema and apnea surferdude2 13 6,538 05-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Last Post: woozie38

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.