Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Battery Power in RV
CPAP Battery Power in RV
I am planning a one-or-two-month RV trip driving California to Ohio in a week or so.  To run a ResMed in the RV, is this the best way to power it?
"ResMed AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 DC Power Supply 37297". 

I could alternatively run my inverter but believe that may consume too much energy.  Does anyone use this power supply and find it reliable?  Seems a bit costy but may be my best choice?  RV is equipped with two 6v batteries.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Battery Power in RV
Do you have a source to recharge your trailer batteries daily in the RV? We dry camp a lot in our trailer and both of us use PAP machines. My husband uses the 12 volt (like an old cigarette lighter plug in cars) to run his Resmed. I have a little battery pack to run my PR 560. In the morning we run our generator to recharge the 6 volt batteries on the trailer and use the now-available AC power to recharge my portable battery. If the Resmed Power Supply in your post is just a portable battery you will need to recharge it the next day. You can change on the road with the proper equipment in your truck. Resmed is a 24 volt system and needs to be converted into 12 volt to run off the trailer batteries which produce 12 volt--and doing so uses a lot more juice than my 12 volt PR does. If you are in a trailer park and have AC power to the trailer you of course don't need any converter or battery items--just plug into the wall plug like at home.
Post Reply Post Reply
SideSleeper, thanks for your response!  It good to know there are others traveling with cpaps.

I believe the part posted above should connect my ResMed to the 12v receptacle as your husband does.  What does he use to attach it to the 12v?  Sounds like you also have two 6v batteries.  Are they depleted by morning?

Recharging is not a problem on travel days as the truck engine handles it.  My generator handles most other situations.  When traveling I like dry camping in various settings.  Sometimes I go weeks without shore power, but that may have to change.  I hope my batteries can handle the cpap as well as the refrigerator for a night.  But I need the part that connects it to the outlet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2019, 10:44 PM)Insopita Wrote: I am planning a one-or-two-month RV trip driving California to Ohio in a week or so.  To run a ResMed in the RV, is this the best way to power it?
"ResMed AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 DC Power Supply 37297". 

I could alternatively run my inverter but believe that may consume too much energy.  Does anyone use this power supply and find it reliable?  Seems a bit costy but may be my best choice?  RV is equipped with two 6v batteries.  Thanks!

The Resmed 12v DC power supply is your best option it is a well made and reliable adapter designed for your medical appliance and it will just plug straight into the circular 12v socket

You may need to look at your power usage as this will affect how long your batteries last and I suggest not using the heated hose and turning off the humidifier, still fill it with water to get some humidity from the air passing over the water.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, JasWilliams!  I believe my power consumption is low enough.  Hard to use much power in a ClassB.  [Image: shy.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
If your batteries are in good condition and you are't running a huge power hog like the furnace you will be fine using 12 volt power. However I believe there is a converter (or is it inverter) needed to connect between the machine and the round 12 volt plug since Resmed uses 24 volts. As jaswilliams said don't use a heated hose or heated humidification--that is what pulls the real power. I do as he suggested--shut off the heat in both and just use pass over humidification. I probably don't need the humidification but PR machines are noisy without water--as least mine is. Your instruction book might have further information or go to Supplier #1 at the top of the page--we have used them for add on parts and they have good pictures. I bet there is a You Tube video available also! Another thought--if the 12 volt plug isnt close to your bed, get a heavy duty extension cord--regular household ones won't work. We found out the hard way but had a great big extension cord with us for outside usage--overkilll but it saved the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the ResMed 24V DC adapter with a 12V lead acid gel battery in an ammo case during a cub scout camping trip w/ my son last weekend. It worked great.

Using a Powerwerx meter I tested the setup at home ahead of time, and my AirSense 10 AutoSet used around 3 amp-hours of capacity for 1 night. With humidifier set to 2, it used 5 amp-hours (tested the following night). No heated tube.

As my battery is a 35 Ah batt and peak current sits around 1 amp I am probably good for a whole week with that battery.

FYI the ResMed does take 24VDC input but this adapter includes the necessary DC boost converter circuit to make 12VDC into 24V. I think it will take 24V in via the cigarette lighter plug too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup, looks like this is what I need.  Thank you for the responses!  I will put my order in tomorrow.  But wait!  I was just listening to the weather in Ohio ... tornadoes touching down near Dayton.  Yikes.  Hope they finish up before I get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are 24V RVs out there; however, I have only run across 12V. You won't be able to run your ResMed via AC during the evening as most camp sites do not allow generators running at night. Well, unless the camp site has electricity.

As already stated, to run your ResMed, you will need some sort of direct hookup to your RV batteries, or a portable battery in the coach. Either set of batteries would probably need to charged the next day while driving and/or if you have portable generators hooked up to your RV.

If accessible and you are handy, you may be able to wire a 12V cigarette adapter near your bedside, and hence in theory you can just plug your adapter and ResMed in to. If you have an electrician friend they would probably recommend some fuses along the way to prevent from too much current getting sent to your ResMed and or shorts.

Again, if your RV batteries are also running your furnace and water pump during the evening ... don't drain your RV batteries ... especially camping this time of year. It is going to get cold real fast without your furnace. If you end up with a cold spouse ... oh man ... you've got a whole new set of problems ... good luck with that Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Theoak, thanks for your response.  I'm hoping I'm good on all counts.  Luckily, my rv has a tv 12-volt outlet right over my bed.  I'm planning to order part number 37297 for the power supply.  From Supplier #1 on the above list.  I have two 6V batteries which as you stated, will charge up while driving or generator where allowed.  As I'm not real handy, I'm glad I won't be wiring anything!  Thanks again Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 9 254 04-24-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Tmjidaho
  [Equipment] BEFORE YOU BUY A MEDISTROM BATTERY srlevine1 0 180 04-24-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 8 152 04-18-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 348 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,854 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,941 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,120 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.