Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters
Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters
I'm sharing samples of what was a very bad night and what was, for me, a very good one. 

The very bad night prompted me to see my cardiologist, who confirmed that my heart is okay and that the Cheyne Stokes breathing pattern should not worry me. 

My pulmonologist ordered a Polysomnography with CPAP titration to investigate my sleep issues. Unfortunately, I was unable to sleep for more than an hour the whole night. When the technician changed to ASV, I felt like my inspiration was stopped by the machine before I felt full of air, so I asked her to go back to CPAP. 

They only give the study to the sleep doctor, but I have an appointment in a couple of weeks. 

I would appreciate it if someone could provide some insight based on these screenshots so that I can have a more productive conversation with my doctor."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters
Hello, thats alot!!!

Don't get panicked over the Chyene Stokes, something about them getting missed flagged.

Much smarter people than me here, they will ask you  zoom in on your flow rate at least to  2 to 3 minute window. 
They want to look very closely at the breathing pattern.

Yes my PCP thinks i have crack in my water reservoir, I think they don't understand what Oscar is and it's easy for them to discount it.  Gave them a screen shot, nurmerical stats on the left of the window, event flags on the top, flow rate,  AHI. You can hover over then click to zoom until you get flow rate down to a 2 to 3 minute window. 

Good luck
Jess
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your response. 

As you suggested, I have attached two samples of my CSR. One is from a cluster of obstructed apneas on 04/15/2022, and the other is from a cluster of central apneas on 8/22/2023. 

I would greatly appreciate any assistance from experts in the forum in understanding these patterns before my next doctor's appointment. 

Thank you again!
Post Reply Post Reply
    On February 15th, I believed I had a typical night according to my standards. However, the OSCAR report tells a different story, Cheyne Stokes Respiration (CSR) 20.91%

Paradoxically, as can be seen, the Leake rate is almost minimal and the SpO2 is also normal to good for my standards. 

I did not drink that night or for a couple of days before. The only relevant parameter is that I was visiting Quito at an altitude of 9,000 feet.

My paradox is that I sleep better when I drink at night, even though I experience a hangover the next day. My cardiologist assures me that my heart is strong and attributes any misreadings to the machine. However, I suspect that I might have Congestive Heart Failure.

Any information would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Aldiorg

The fact that you were in Quito is actually the key to understanding what happened. Your sleep can be expected to go back to normal after returning home to Florida.

According to the National Institute of Health:

At altitude, the reduced oxygen content of the blood induces breathing instability, with periods of deep and rapid breathing alternating with central apnea. This breathing pattern is called high-altitude periodic breathing (PB). It occurs even in healthy persons at altitudes above 6000 ft. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article...06000%20ft.

Also be aware that ResMed mislabels periodic breathing as Cheyne Stokes respiration.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Thank you for your response,

Still altitude does not explain the paradox that I have better readings when I drink, best example was last New Years Eve as the attachment.

Very good night for me, despite that I drank a lot that night.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post a couple 3-minute views of your daily charts, not the PDF report that you have. Have them start with the first CA event near the middle so we can see what is going on at the start of the sequence. Also of the full day, all including the left sidebar without the Pie-chart and calendar. This will enable us to see what is going on.
Review this article. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...ganization
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much, I am scared.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Heart conditions of this sort would have up to daily symptoms where you'd not feel right.

"Cheyne-Stokes respiration (CSR) is a form of sleep-disordered breathing seen in approximately 40% of congestive heart failure patients with a left ventricular ejection fraction of < 40%." https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9041998/

This is an issue you'd know, and not need to guess. I have a heart rhythm issue called PVC, and my LVEF was lowest in 2017, at 55%. If you have symptoms concerning you, get it checked. However, if you are healthy, don't take on unneeded stressing over something.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 20 771 Yesterday, 02:53 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 7 283 04-25-2024, 07:28 PM
Last Post: laokg
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 62 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 383 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,738 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,653 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 4 294 04-11-2024, 11:20 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.