Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP air is stuffy, and I want to whine about it.
Gross 
CPAP air is stuffy, and I want to whine about it.
I can't sleep. Not like I sleep well without the CPAP either, but at least there was the illusion of sleep.

I can't get used to breathing in warm, moist air. It was recommended that maybe I should increase my pressure a bit to get more airflow. That made my head feel like a balloon being blown up and put pressure in my ears. I've tried different masks, humidity off...I can't make it cooler in the house because I have children who will be too cold. I can't get over breathing in such stuffy air.

What am I supposed to do? What else can I try? Maybe I'm just too claustrophobic to adjust to this thing. I am trying. I swear I am. Any other advice is welcome. I'm so tired.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP air is stuffy, and I want to whine about it.
If you are using the humidifier, turn off the heat and place ice cubes in the tank.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ve done the ice cube thing, but I thought the humidifier was supposed to be on for that. So I’ll try the ice cubes and turning it off tonight. Thank you! I hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was still using my CPAP, I turned off the humidifier and the heated hose. The air was plenty cool and I never had to resort to ice cubes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Filling it with frozen coffee is out I guess...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just turn off the humidifier
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a similar experience when getting started and will echo the comments from previous users, turn all the heating and humidification off.

You can look up the programmed mask leakage of your mask, it's in the manual that came with it.  If you can tolerate a different mask with a higher pass-though (programmed leak) it will help.  I found that full face masks generally pass more air and didn't give me the smothering feeling despite being larger and covering more of my face.  Might be a consideration for getting started if you can tolerate it.
I had to bump up my base pressure to get more flow, from 4 to 7 (with EPR), humidification and heated lines off (in March, in Michigan).

When I first started if I turned all that stuff on, I felt like someone was smothering me with a pillow.  I've gotten used to it and now run the humidifier all the time, but it took months to get to that point.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, change your filter regularly, I do mine monthly. It may be my imagination - it probably is - but the air feels "fresher" when I change it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The filters are completely washable. I know that they're not all that expensive, but they are so easy to clean. Just run some hot water, a drop of liquid dish soap, and give it a light finger massage for about 30 seconds or so. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel and you are done. 

I can't see paying for something that can be easily cleaned.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  F40 mask making a pitched whine noise on inhale? alwyns42 7 649 06-08-2024, 08:48 PM
Last Post: brokensleep57
  Woke up with a stuffy nose for the last two nights,couldnt breathe.Suggestions? vrapche031 8 2,422 10-06-2023, 03:12 PM
Last Post: JoeP
  CPAP Stuffy Nose Spray Perchance2Dream 8 2,005 03-25-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Hot and stuffy masssleep 2 538 03-24-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: masssleep
  OSCAR Results, woke up to a stuffy nose matty675 11 1,573 08-19-2022, 06:58 AM
Last Post: matty675
  Newbie - Stuffy nose turning me into mouth breather Bert S 16 2,178 10-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Bert S
  Stuffy nose.... Glen e 2 1,235 11-13-2020, 09:58 AM
Last Post: Glen e

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.