Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central apnea and high pressures?
Central apnea and high pressures?
Are CSA events more prevalent at higher pressures? (Perhaps due to more frequent arousals?)
I'm thinking of using an MAD device simultaneously with CPAP. This should allow me to reduce the pressure, and I'm wondering if the reduced pressure would also mean a decrease in the CSA events that I get. Currently with CPAP all my events are CSA now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central apnea and high pressures?
It depends on the cause of the central.

If you know, without question, that high(er) pressures are causing your centrals then a reduction in pressure should reduce the centrals.
IF increased pressures are causing centrals it is likely because of increased flushing of CO2 and byproducts from your system resulting in centrals. (Simply put, Our main drive to breathe is to remove CO2 and its byproducts.) This is what occurs with TECA, Treatment Emergent Central Apnea, too much CO2 is flushed from our system removing our drive to breathe and showing as a central apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
Do I have Cheyne Stokes respiration?
https://i.imgur.com/D6t1Xlq.png
https://i.imgur.com/SJBSL2y.png
Post Reply Post Reply
Your thread from I think 2021 you'd mentioned the sleep study had almost equal Obstructive and Central Apnea. And again I'm thinking the titration reduced Obstructive but about doubled CA.

As for cause of CA, I'm not certain, but you had them back then.

You might want to stick to one thread. There's no historical context for members to help.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah gotcha. I was mostly trying to make the post subject match the discussion, but you're totally right that historical context is more important.
Would CO2 flushing be increased by pressure alone? I.E without EPR. I was under the impression that CO2 flushing was primarily caused by high EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I have Cheyne Stokes respiration?
Some more context..
First sleep study (5 years ago): 3 obstructive, 4 central, 2 mixed, 106 hypopnea in 5:45 hours. AHI 20, RDI 20.1,
N2 sleep 66%, REM sleep 26%, with no N3 sleep, spontaneous arousal index 15.5/hour

CPAP titration (5 years ago): 2 obstructive, 10 central 6 mixed in 5 hours. AHI 6.8, RDI 7
N2 sleep 77%, REM sleep 16%, with no N3 sleep, spontaneous arousal index 13.1/hour

Repeat sleep study (more recent after losing 20lb): 4 obstructive, 6 central 1 mixed in 4 hours. AHI 6.6, RDI 6.6
N2 sleep 77%, REM sleep 16%, with no N3 sleep, spontaneous arousal index 7.5/hour

Repeat CPAP titration (more recent after losing 20lb): 3 obstructive, 36 central Huh , 0 mixed in 5:43 hours. AHI 8.4, RDI 8.4
N2 sleep 70%, REM sleep 9%, with 16.4% N3 sleep, cortical arousal index 4.7/hour

According to my muse headband I'm currently getting an OK amount of N3 sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Possibly with higher pressures, more likely with EPR or a bilevel PS. This is if the centrals are caused by CO2 flushing. At least as I'm understanding it.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You pretty clearly have some variable or periodic breathing near the apneic threshold, but in no way do you suffer from Cheyne Stokes. Are these results typical for you? The session in these graphs is only 4.5 hours in duration and the central apnea index is high enough to be of concern, but not serious. Have you discussed your concerns with your doctor. Your Muse headband aside, how do you judge your therapy efficacy?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often find I get clusters of these CSA events, and I notice it when I wake up extremely fatigued.
Overall I'm not sure how much CPAP has helped my sleep quality and daytime fatigue, maybe not at all to be honest.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not out of the question to move to a more advanced therapy like ASV. I think it might be helpful to look at more examples of your typical sleep and therapy. Meanwhile, I have merged your two current threads. They both deal with your therapy and are very much related. Please try to keep your therapy inquiries in this thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 20 771 Yesterday, 02:53 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 7 283 04-25-2024, 07:28 PM
Last Post: laokg
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 62 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 383 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 109 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 401 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,738 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.