Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread
sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread
I have been on CPAP therapy for over 1 year and have a 95 percent compliance so I have tolerated fairly well.  I started with Air fit  F30 mask and could not fall asleep with it so I was switched to ResMed AirTouch F20 and used it for about 1 year.  Some nights woke me up with stuffy nose and was a nightmare to deal with , most nights I slept with it and did not even know I had mask on in the morning before awakening.    I had to switch insurance companies and Now my new DME company has issued by the F30 mask again.  Miraculously I wore it and was able to use it successfully throughout first night.  Again the second night; however,  I am still really tired even though my numbers are really  good-  low leak, Apnea events under 2 and minimal disruptions.  Has anyone experienced similar problems after wearing another mask for over a year and then switching?   Is there a time period required to adjust to a new mask and feel more refreshed and energetic?   I appreciate any feedback .
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched masks and adjustment period
We are data driven, so please post a before and after OSCAR chart so we can help.

Generally speaking, everyone is different. I adjust in a night or two, others take months. Once we see the data we can offer more specific advise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing
I have been undergoing sleep apnea treatment with CPAP for almost 18 months.   One of my problems is I am a mouth breather and I wake up in middle of night with nasal congestion.  What has further added to nasal congestion is a BPH medication that I have been prescribed that causes stuffiness of nose as a side effect.  I have tried various full face masks and I came across a technique of doing nasal massage and nose breathing exercises that helps relieve congestion.   I have tried it for a few nights and I am finally able to sleep through the night and breath better.   Has anyone heard of these techniques (developed in far east over 150 Years ago).  It sure seems to beat risky nasal surgery and using addictive nasal sprays every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing
I haven't heard of the nasal massage, but if it helps, then that's all that matters.
Although sometimes necessary, I look at surgery as a last option.

In addition, you could try the breathe-rite nasal strips.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
humidity level frustration
I am really confused about humidity level and where it should be.  I get conflicted answers depending on who I talk to; My pulmonologist, my provider, etc.   I have been CPAP user for 16 months and I have air sense 11 Resmed CPAP device It  is usually on 4 out of 8.  I was told that if weather is colder I should turn it up-- when I do it rarely makes a difference in the efficacy of my therapy.  I was also told that I should turn it lower if I am in warmer climate .   I have it on 4 yet I usually always wake up with dry mouth and dry nasal passages.  Any suggestions to help?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidity level frustration
Pulmonologists recommend using the delivered air with as high a moisture content as you can tolerate. I have been on 6. There is some condensation on the tube, which can enter the mask. There is no problem with that as long as it does not interfere with your sleep. If it does, tune it down a bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidity level frustration
I set my moisture as high as I can without leaving the tank dry.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal irrigation
Does anyone have experience with using saline Rinse similar to Neti Pot or similar ones in cleansing out sinuses?   Is it effective and can it help clear irritants and help facilitate better nasal breathing?  Are there any downsides?  I would appreciate any advice.   I know if can be kind of harsh pouring water up my nose, but if it helps, I am willing to try anything.   I have blocked nasal breathing and I am looking for the least invasive solution and really do not want to have surgery now.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal irrigation
(03-09-2024, 09:09 PM)sleepingbetterinFl Wrote: Does anyone have experience with using saline Rinse similar to Neti Pot or similar ones in cleansing out sinuses?    Is it effective and can it help clear irritants and help facilitate better nasal breathing?  Are there any downsides?  I would appreciate any advice.   I know if can be kind of harsh pouring water up my nose, but if it helps, I am willing to try anything.   I have blocked nasal breathing and I am looking for the least invasive solution and really do not want to have surgery now.

Get a Navage it will change your life. Basically works as good as Afrin without the side effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal irrigation
I have teeny child-sized sinuses and get insufficient air through my left nostril.  I had surgery in the 80s to fix a bunch of things to help me avoid the massive sinus infections I struggled with.  I have used a neti pot since then, and it helps enormously with nasal congestion and avoiding infections.  As long as you use a little salt in the water it is not at all uncomfortable.  I highly recommend it.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 23 472 4 hours ago
Last Post: Dalemazkour
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,968 364,024 Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Last Post: btreger
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 87 1,831 04-25-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  secunix Therapy Thread secunix 0 82 04-25-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: secunix
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 8 232 04-24-2024, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 271 04-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  lisaistired - Therapy Thread and Questions lisaistired 21 1,015 04-24-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: dormivi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.