Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

sleepingbetterinFl - Therapy Thread
Large leak panic
I am not new to therapy as I am CPAP patient for last 15 months; however, I have started with my new mask about 60 days ago (Resmed Airlift F30 full ace mask ) and it was great for about 4 weeks-  I have replaced cushion after 1 month and always had good seal and mimim leaks.  All of a sudden, I am getting huge leaks and I cannot understand why.   MY mask fits well and headgear appears not that worn or stretched.   I am noticing my magnet is getting unattached on left side every night for last 3 nights when I wake up in middle of night and discover it is unattached.  I reattach it and it stays on for remainder of the sleep session.  Any ideas what I can do to get my leak rate down?  I was always at acceptable level up until a week ago.  I am perplexed and bewildered!  I have attached my OSCAR data from last night.

Attached Files
.pdf   31724.pdf (Size: 702.35 KB / Downloads: 3)
.pdf   31724-2.pdf (Size: 702.35 KB / Downloads: 1)
.pdf   31724-3.pdf (Size: 702.35 KB / Downloads: 0)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Large leak panic
Watch some YouTube videos on fitting the F30. LankyLefty27 has a number of good ones. The mask should just be in contact with your face and when the cushions inflate they create the seal. Some may need it a bit tighter than others, but it should not be so tight you cannot move your head up or down without discomfort.

Quite a bit of issues with masks come down to hose management. As you move about during sleep the hose may get pulled on which causes the mask to shift. Something to consider. Some use a system that elevates the hose above the bed so you can move easily without pulling on the hose. Here is an example from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034C...UTF8&psc=1

The magnet should not be detaching. It sounds like it is either getting pulled off during sleep or getting rubbed up against the pillow causing it to disengage. This is the most likely cause of your leaks. You could try putting a wee bit of medical tape on the mask/magnet to see if it helps. That way you can still take it off easily if needed.

BTW, mask cushions and headgear should last 6 months or more regardless of DME schedules, unless you are overnighting them or not wiping down frequently. For example, my mask cushions typically are good for a year or so and headgear lasts about the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you PeaceLoveandPizza for the thorough reply.  I am going to try taping the magnet-  sounds like a great idea and I also think hose may be key to the problem.  I am having to pull the hose closer to my mask and keep. it close to me in order for it to get a better fit-  When I let the hose dangle over the side of the bed,  it seems to pull on the mask -  That did not happen with the F20 mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
relationship to flow rate and leaks
Can someone help explain to me the link between flow rate and leak rate?  And where does pressure fit in with assessing the data for a good night sleep?  I have attached a screenshot from the other night from OSCAR.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: relationship to flow rate and leaks
You need to raise the min to 8 leaving everything else alone and repost with those setting.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
PeaceLoveandPizza-  You are a champion in my view!   Your advice worked wonders.  I used a little bit of medical tape and my leak went way down to 19.  I have attached my data from last night and you can see the improvement on my leaks.   Thank you again.  The little bit of tape did the trick and I adjusted the mask a little more to secure a better fit.  Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: relationship to flow rate and leaks
raise what minimum to 8?  Can you please be more specific?
Post Reply Post Reply
nasal congestion relief
My nasal congestion at night certainly has been a challenge the past few months.  I came across a technique for nasal massage that apparently is helping me-  I am not waking up in the middle of night as much since I started doing these exercises.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbKfZ2B2zYI.   Perhaps in combination of my saline, Neil med nasal irrigation practice,  as well as steroid sprays -  I am having better results.  I have learned sometimes one has to "do things by trial and error"  to see what will work.
Post Reply Post Reply
flow rate and leak rate question
I have noticed by leak episodes and flow rate seem to increase around the same time.  Can someone explain to me the similarity to spikes in Flow rate and high leak rate?  I have included my last night OSCAR DATA

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: nasal congestion relief
Thanks for posting your solutions. What steroid spray did you use?
I'm wondering if meds like Benadryl, Claritin,(others?)  can work, have you tried them?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The DreamStation Foam Removal Thread brianc18t 162 24,751 58 minutes ago
Last Post: Joerichmond
  [Treatment] Tbrock8905 - Therapy Thread Tbrock8905 19 151 2 hours ago
Last Post: OpalRose
  NewlyDiagnosed therapy thread NewlyDiagnosed 39 866 4 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] flyinnerd - Therapy Help flyinnerd 9 203 5 hours ago
Last Post: flyinnerd
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 19 604 Yesterday, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
Question [CPAP] TPoc's Therapy Thread TPoc 12 335 Yesterday, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Pawpri - Therapy Analysis Pawpri 67 2,166 Yesterday, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Pawpri

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.