Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] modest811 - Therapy Thread
RE: Insane respiratory rate, error?
Also 50 breaths/minute is the maximum that the machine will record -- I've pegged it there more than once, LOL. The people who wrote the software know that it's an absurd value.

My gripe is that the software is clearly recording itself in a "don't have the foggiest idea what to do" state for long stretches of time, but makes no note of that at all in the summary data that gets reported up to ResMed. So your zombie-idiot sleep doctor just quacks out over and over "your apnea is well-controlled" when the machine is clearly not in control of things at all!
Post Reply Post Reply
When you zoom in on the flow rate where the high respiration rate occurs, you will see the pattern of inspiration will have regular peaks at your normal respiration rate of about 12.6 bpm, but the space between the breaths has many irregular peaks. Something was going on that can be seen in your flow rate chart, and I suspect it was real. I would not worry about it unless it becomes a trend, but it would be interesting to figure out if it is related to the mask or some other repeatable variable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2022, 01:55 PM)desaturator Wrote: Perhaps zoom in of the flow graph at the time of maximum respiratory rate, and just count the breaths in a minute. You might see extra zero-crossings in the flow waveform, that can be counted as extra breaths. I see these as well; I think this subject is being discussed in other threads.

BW, DS

Like this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwxa9mnvpw6g48...g.png?dl=0

One thing that I can see because my heart rate is much higher than 50, is that it's not counting my heart rate...
Post Reply Post Reply
That's it... it's so much easier to do it visually. If only we could figure out an algorithm to code for it.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If this is happening regularly and you have a way to record video try to get it on tape. Its been a curiosity for a few members now and I believe it is asynchronicity between user and PAP but to my knowledge no one has recorded it yet to see what exactly is happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2022, 11:32 PM)cathyf Wrote: One thing that I can see because my heart rate is much higher than 50, is that it's not counting my heart rate...

I guess it will only count flow transitions that cross the zero line, right? I mean, I'm just guessing, because I have no idea how these machines make their measurements. If you heart rate is 85-90 (call it 87 for simplicity), and you have 16 breaths per minute, that's 5.4 heartbeats per breath. Looking at your flow trace, there does appear to be roughly that number -- 5 to 6 -- extra "flow" fluctuations per breath.

Of course, for me, this is all guesswork.

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2022, 02:08 AM)Geer1 Wrote: [...] no one has recorded it yet to see what exactly is happening.

I am recording, but so far the problem has not recurred. What should I look for, if it does?

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
Btw, 

Changed back to the dreamwear mask last night and everything is perfectly fine. For me, it seems it was definitely the mask. Which is strange because I had previously used the F20 mask for like a year and it was fine. 

Also I noticed in the recording of me sleeping, the hose was on my chest when the rapid crazy breathing was happening so maybe there is something to the heart rate affecting it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It would be interesting to look at the mask pressure as this is going on. I'm sure the machine is incapable of providing the pressure and pressure support that should be occurring and it is likely stuck near EPAP with meaningless pressure fluctuations.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=39144]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-21-2022, 03:15 AM)desaturator Wrote: I am recording, but so far the problem has not recurred. What should I look for, if it does?

BW, DS

To my knowledge you don't have this out of sync type of breathing, very few do (maybe half a dozen members have posted about it the last couple years). If you see similar flow rate data and were recording just see if you can tell what was going on at that time. 

Sleeprider, 

That was Cathy's data. In her data we have seen how the mask pressure gets out of sync and yes I guarantee it is happening with OP as well as you expect. In his original post you can see how the breathing gets worse as it gets more and more out of sync.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Olive - Therapy Adventure Little Olive 79 1,777 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Therapy Beginner Help papercupprincess 3 128 6 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 25 570 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 10 399 Yesterday, 10:19 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  stanleyv28 - Therapy Assistance stanleyv28 23 466 Yesterday, 04:56 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,968 364,366 04-26-2024, 08:53 AM
Last Post: btreger
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 87 1,865 04-25-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.