Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

First real stats. Help anyone?
Question 
First real stats. Help anyone?
My second night on the S8 and my first real stats.
While Wednesday night gave a pressure reading of 9.6, it was 8.4 last night, 7.07 hours.
It gave me my first readings of
AHI 5.1
AI 0.7
HI 4.4

But I'm not totally sure what these mean, if I can get some insight.
Because I don't have a memory card I'm hoping to keep manual stats each night until my next appointment on December 5 when I have to return the machine. My doctor's appointment (GP) is on the 7th and I can relay the details to him at the time. Hopefully he'll be able to refer me back to the Otolaryngologist. That way I can get an official pressure setting. Otherwise, armed with the knowledge from this site I'll be able to target my average as my new setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First real stats. Help anyone?
The acronyms/abbreviations are here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

The AHI needs to be below 5. But since this is your second night looking at data, it needs a lot more nights before the data is worthy of worry. And, really, 5.1 is good. The AHI (apnea hypopnea index) is the number of apneas plus the number of hypopneas divided by the number of hours.

The other two numbers show what composed your AHI of 5.1. The AI is the apnea index (# of apneas divided by the hours) and this is a good number!

The HI is the hypopnea index. That is showing where the bulk of your AHIs are coming from. Again, this is good.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The pressure reading is the 95% percentile pressure. Wednesday night was 9.6 cmH2O
This means for 95% of the time your pressure was AT or BELOW 9.6 cmH2O and for 5% of the night was AT or ABOVE 9.6 cmH2O

Leak reading is also 95% percentile leak which means exactly the same as 95% percentile pressure
[S8 acceptable leak is 0.4 L/s (S9 24 L/min)]

7.07 hours is total hours you have used the machine in a single session ... session starts at midday and finishes 24 hours later

Apnea event scored after 10 seconds. S8 machines don,t score central apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-16-2012, 12:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The acronyms/abbreviations are here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

The AHI needs to be below 5. But since this is your second night looking at data, it needs a lot more nights before the data is worthy of worry. And, really, 5.1 is good. The AHI (apnea hypopnea index) is the number of apneas plus the number of hypopneas divided by the number of hours.

The other two numbers show what composed your AHI of 5.1. The AI is the apnea index (# of apneas divided by the hours) and this is a good number!

The HI is the hypopnea index. That is showing where the bulk of your AHIs are coming from. Again, this is good.

Thanks. This morning's readings were
AHI 2.3
AI 0.2
HI 2.1
10.05 hours of sleep
I still woke up tired but not as bad as some nights.
The pressure setting was 11.0
Again I'm using a borrowed ResMed S8 AutoSet II so having an auto adjusting machine is a novelty for me, but it goes back on December 5th. I'm told that IF my doctor recommends an AutoSet model then I'll get one. Otherwise I'm stuck with my S9 Escape which isn't too bad. It just couldn't clue me in to all these depressing details.
Thanks

(11-16-2012, 04:16 PM)zonk Wrote: S8 machines don,t score central apnea

D'Oh! That really messes things up. But at least I'm getting some readings I didn't get before. I guess it's a start. Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
If it is an auto, what is the pressure ranges it is set to? Does the screen report the 95th percentile or is that the 11 you have?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2012, 03:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If it is an auto, what is the pressure ranges it is set to? Does the screen report the 95th percentile or is that the 11 you have?

I believe the range is 8 (my default number) and 16.
It said nothing about percentile. Or if it did, I missed it.
I just whipped up a chart to enter the readings each morning.
They may be able to get the info from the machine but at least I'll
have a copy as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
So when you say "The pressure setting was 11.0", where are you getting that number from?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2012, 11:03 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: So when you say "The pressure setting was 11.0", where are you getting that number from?

Forgive my wording. Setting. Level. Reading. Might have been an average. Anyhow that's what the machine said the pressure was listed at when I woke up in the morning.
It always starts at 8.0 when I start it up at night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay. If it is the same as the S9 Autoset, that means that was the pressure at that moment, not necessarily the pressure you used while asleep.

It starts at 8 because that's the lowest number in the range. It starts there as the minimum and increases as you need it to.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2012, 01:11 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Okay. If it is the same as the S9 Autoset, that means that was the pressure at that moment, not necessarily the pressure you used while asleep.

It starts at 8 because that's the lowest number in the range. It starts there as the minimum and increases as you need it to.

OK then I woke up with 9.6, 8.4, 11.0 and 10.6 in the nights I've had it. Hardly consistent but somehow I suspected that. As for the pressure used while asleep, I was led to understand that it fluctuates through the night. And if I'm that flaky, with numbers all over the place, it's easy to believe I'm not the same all night. But.... thanks for confirming. As well as telling me that the slim hose isn't used with it. After all these years - still learning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are these real CAs? brainfoggysleeper 0 76 Yesterday, 08:04 PM
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
  Real or False CAs? SingingWolf 3 260 03-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 340 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 339 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Oura Ring Sleep Stats with CPAP FooMan 2 1,113 01-13-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Chask
  OSCAR - computing stats for subsection of night confinedmind 6 404 01-07-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,475 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.