Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Forehead headache and brainfogging even after A-CPAP
Forehead headache and brainfogging even after A-CPAP
I was diagnosed with Obstructive and Central sleep apnea in July 2023 with an AHI of 26. Since start of this year, I was having increased symptoms of brain fog, constant headaches all over, fatigue, zombie like state, and lack of concentration. I have been having such symptoms and sleep related issues since nearly a decade, which never got diagnosed as sleep apnea since it is relatively new in India.

From October I am using the Resmed Air Sense 10 Autoset machine with the Dreamwear Respironics Nasal Mask for sleep apnea with humidity level 0 and tube temp set to off.  My sleep and above symptoms had become better for the first 2 weeks and the AHI was less than 1.

After the initial 2 weeks, my nose starting to feel constantly dry & choked, I was feeling suffocated even during the day, sleep problems and the symptoms had returned even though the machine recorded an AHI of less than 1. After some internet reading, I turned up the humidity level to 6 and the tube temp to 28-30, which has helped the dry nose and choking and the lack of sleep.

However, despite AHI less than 1, Pressure set between 4-14, EPR set to 3, Humidity Level 6, Tube Temp 28-30 and almost 9-10 hours of sleep, I still having a headache in the forehead which feels like a rock is inside the forehead and feel the need to sleep in the day.

I'll be very grateful if somebody can help me with my situation since the symptom effects are slowly increasing daily, and my GP is unable to identify why the A-CPAP machine has stopped helping me after having helped in the first 2 weeks.

Please also guide me how I can post my data from the Auto-CPAP machine if it may help.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Forehead headache and brainfogging even after A-CPAP
Considering your settings are 4-14cmH20 and you have EPR 3 you're probably only receiving proper therapy for a portion of the night. EPR @ 3 won't work at pressures under 7cmH20. First step is you'll need to make sure you have an SD card inserted into your CPAP machine so it can record sleep data. Then, download OSCAR and import your SD card contents to the program. Next, upload a photo of your OSCAR daily view with the calendar minimized and the full settings on the left visible and we can provide feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Forehead headache and brainfogging even after A-CPAP
Depending on the severity of the diagnosed Central Apnea, the AutoSet may be incapable of treatment these CA. The treatment of CA is the specialized ASV.

Do you have OSCAR charts and/or the diagnostic data that can be shared? OSCAR is the free report tool you can use yourself, seeing nightly CPAP use. It is a safe app as well. It's linked for you to look at.

What can happen with treating Central and Obstructive Apnea together is this issue I call the teeter totter effect. Actions to treat CA likely leave obstructive untreated or worse, same but opposite on treating obstructive. The ASV can treat both reasonably well, however its main purpose is CA treatment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,330 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 173 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CPAP pillow that works for forehead mount tube? marylee 7 543 02-04-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Very Low AHI Still Extremely Tired / Waking with Headache exchanged 1 471 01-23-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 663 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI with Aircurve 10 ASVAuto Still tired/headache/waking up at night Jarlo 19 2,185 06-26-2023, 09:49 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  [Diagnosis] Low AHI and Headache: Compare Stats Request haikuclue 8 993 06-26-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: Marillion

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.