Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA
Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA
I have successfully navigated getting OSCAR up and running, and would appreciate help interpreting the graphs, which I am going to attach. Thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Interpreting Oscar Charts
I didn't even have to open the charts to see those huge clusters of obstructive apnea. This is positional apnea, and no amount of pressure will correct it without you intervening to prevent it. I can go on, but since this problem is so common, we wrote some wiki articles to do that for us. Please read:
Soft cervical collar https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cal_Collar
Positional Apnea: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Apneayour

That aside, you're using fixed pressure of 12 with EPR 3. I think we can move to autoset pressure once you deal with the positional issues, but higher pressure is not going to penetrate this airway obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2024, 08:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I didn't even have to open the charts to see those huge clusters of obstructive apnea. This is positional apnea, and no amount of pressure will correct it without you intervening to prevent it.  I can go on, but since this problem is so common, we wrote some wiki articles to do that for us.  Please read:
Soft cervical collar https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...cal_Collar
Positional Apnea: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Apneayour

That aside, you're using fixed pressure of 12 with EPR 3.  I think we can move to autoset pressure once you deal with the positional issues, but higher pressure is not going to penetrate this airway obstruction.

Thanks so much for your response. I am curious about the term `positional apnea.'' Is it synonymous with `obstructive apnea?'

When I started with cpap a couple of years ago, I had many more central events than obstructive ones. Now it seems to have reversed. When I sleep on my side I get fewer events, but don't sleep as well. My sleep doc doesn't offer much advice: says you can't trust the machine report on events.

On the neck brace, I did read the thread on them and bought one from Amazon, but I find the surface irritates my neck and interferes with my sleep.

Any further advice? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you read the linked wiki articles, positional apnea is obstructive, but related to a poor head and neck alignment that causes the airway to be blocked. That kind of obstruction is not responsive to pressure and needs to be corrected by avoiding the positions that cause it. We have had many members with this issue, and most resolve it. If the first attempt does not work, then try an alternative. There are reviews in our review forum and linked from the soft cervical collar wiki.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] interpreting OSCAR data NicoFR 31 2,119 04-25-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: NicoFR
  Daytime events huge spike liz0859 4 113 04-24-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: liz0859
  3 Days of Oscar Charts - Looking for advice Jakeb24 5 163 04-15-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Jakeb24
  Need help interpreting the data Hopey 2 146 04-12-2024, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Hopey
  Help interpreting my results (and hello!) mluck94 4 198 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: mluck94
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 228 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 206 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.