Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lots of sleep but still dead tired
RE: Lots of sleep but still dead tired
I know no question is stupid but this is to prevent OAs correct? I'm butting into this post because I wanted to know about the collars but I'm having lots of centrals, a lot of nights no OAs at all. I do have a special pillow behind my neck so that's probably keeping my neck from kinking? I have a spinal disorder so have to sleep on my back in an adjustable bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
A collar will probably not help CA because CA meaning Central Apnea is a cessation of breathing typically unknown medical cause. This is why CA may also be called clear Airway. Obstructive Apnea is an obstructed airway typically the throat muscles relaxing, collapsing. OA may be lessened via a physical collar to prevent the positional collapse.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mostly members here will want your daily OSCAR chart. Most cases that's no zoom, but if there's a specific area of concern, you can include that as well.

There should be a default setting for OSCAR to display graphs in order.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I tried using my nasal mask--an AirFit N20. My problem is that I simply cannot get enough air flow through my nose. I've had one nasal turbinate reduciton surgery and every night I do a nasal rinse, use azelastine antihistimine nasal spray, apply a breathe right strip and take a citirizine oral antihistimine. Still I do not get enough air flow through my nose. I feel that the nasal mask would work, however if you covered my mouth long enough I would die. 

That is why I am using my AirTouch F20 full face mask. Does anyone have recommendations on nasal air flow?

I am going to lobby for another turbinate reduction surgery, as I hear nasal turbinates often partially grow back. My first surgery was like magic--for the first time in my life I could breathe through my nose. Up until then I had been known for chapped lips (now I understand from mouth breathing) ever since I was a child.

I also see that I am getting OAs on inhales where I do not exale. Going to try sleeping without EPR tonight and setting a wider range, 8-18cm H2O.

I also slept on a slight incline last night for a while before I found it uncomfortable, but you can see my sleep was great for that period. I will try giving the incline another shot tonight while I wait for my cervical collar to arrive.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
For some reason I cannot get detailed data from last night on my ResMed AirSense 11...Screenshot below is all I get.

However I feel so much better today than I have in a long time! Slept at a slight incline, and while I remember  waking up 6-10 times in the middle of the night I feel like a new man today. I think I can slowly get used to sleeping at an incline.

Screenshot:

Post Reply Post Reply
Either you did not have the SD card inserted or fully inserted during this sleep session.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2023, 12:23 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Either you did not have the SD card inserted or fully inserted during this sleep session.

Thanks, Crimson! I must have not had the SD card fully inserted. Since resolved.

My scores are steadily improving! Last night AHI: 2.30, down from ~ 5.0 AHI average previous week. I attribute this to sleeping at a mild incline and focusing on side sleeping.

Looking at the wave forms on the Flow Limitation Wiki Page it seems I am exhaling through my mouth (which I believe to be the case).

Is this a problem in need of corrective action?

Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing is not a consideration if you are using an F20 FFM. That would only apply to masks that do not cover the mouth. You seem to need more pressure. Try increasing the min and max by 1 cm and trying it for the night. At some point, you will reach your optimum pressure (hopefully).

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I seem to be at the maximum pressure (13) before the aerophagia kicks in. I am currently at 12-13, no EPR. I can try inching that up.

Do you think increasing inspiratory pressure vs expiratory pressure is more important or both based on my graphs?
Post Reply Post Reply
hey Markus11, sorry for the late reply.

Just looking at your data, you did best on EPR 3, fixed pressure of 13cm, though it was for only one night, but it did stand out.

Trying to force the nasal mask will probably not yield much fruit. It sounds like you have some pretty persistent nasal obstruction, and should all nonsurgical avenues for trying to correct it fail, then it's not unreasonable to consider surgery with the right doctor. Just as a small appended comment, you should be very very very careful with you decide to do surgery, should you go that route. From my experience (and of course I'm just a random on the internet), maxillary expansion seems to be the most helpful for the greatest number of patients, and Stanford actually updated the surgical protocol for SDB patients back in 2020 to reflect that. Turbinate reduction surgeries have low rates of efficacy and high rates of recidivism. I suggest not trying to push for another one (but again, I'm just a guy on the internet). If they're too aggressive and, for example remove the inferior turbinate almost entirely, then you could develop empty nose syndrome. Do you have your CT / CBCT scans by any chance?

As another note, it becomes increasingly difficult to make a nasal mask work at high pressures like yours. Usually around 14cm is where things get exponentially harder. 

Have you considered using an MAD together with your PAP therapy?

Keep in mind that when you increase EPR you basically decrease average pressure, so the general rule of thumb is to increase / decrease pressure in proportion to your increases and decreases of EPR. For example, EPR +1, then pressure +1. EPR -2, then pressure -2.

Increase EPAP until obstructions are resolved, then use PS (IPAP) to resolve the remaining obstruction seen in RERAs, hypopneas, snoring, etc.

@Kathy
yes, it will help with OAs in the sense that it will prevent some patients from tucking / turning their neck into the wrong, unfavourable direction. However, in addition, it will assist in keeping your mouth closed and your tongue at the roof of your mouth in its proper position. This is difficult or doesn't work well for many SDB patients though, because for many the whole reason they have SDB is because things don't fit to begin with. To support this line of reasoning, just think of a chinstrap; a chinstrap will not prevent you from tucking your chin, but it will help you keep your mouth closed, teeth in-contact, and tongue, as mentioned, at the roof of your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 7 294 04-25-2024, 07:28 PM
Last Post: laokg
  Lots of Large Leak Lately LazerStallion 0 86 04-24-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 138 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to all. Have lots of ?? DudleyDoRight 7 233 04-18-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 186 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 270 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 548 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.