Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask seal
Mask seal
I've been using the AirFit F20 mask now since having started CPAP therapy, which has now been over 15 months. 

In the past, it was working very well for me. There were numerous times I had zero leaks. Last night, the leakage rate was 48 L/min. 

I still get some low rates below 5 L/min., but they are becoming ever more rare. My sleep habits have not changed, and I'm a side sleeper and a mouth-breather. Often during the night, my mask begins to leak, I hear it and adjust accordingly. 

I'm now conditioned, more-or-less, to sleep with one of my hands on or very near my mask to keep some amount of pressure on it to make it seal better. 

I change out it's pillow after approx. 2-3 months of use. I'm thinking maybe I need to shorten that time frame up a bit? I'm going to start the New Year out with a new pillow on Jan. 1. 

And, for whatever reason, the 1st half of my night goes much better as far as less leaking goes. As the night wears on, the air leaks increase. 

Just wondering if anyone who uses this particular mask might have a few tricks of the trade they might want to share?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask seal
I used to wear the F20. It could be that it’s slipping on your face as you sleep. Have you tried using witch hazel on your face before you put the mask on to remove any facial oils? The headgear may be stretching out some you could try adjusting that.

One thing I’ve realized is if I have more than 2 days growth on my face I have to shave or it ends up moving on the hairs and leaking. That’s with any full face.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Well crap......it looks as if I'm going to be going back to my F-30 AirFit tonight. Last night I used a new pillow on my F20 and I still had air leaks. So much so, I got up at about 3 am and took my mask off. 

I took a shower, shaved, and made sure my mask was adjusted correctly. Prior to actually going to bed, I washed my face once again with soap and water. 

My sleeping habits are the same. Side sleeper and mouth breather. Nothing has changed. Ramp was off and humidity on auto control. 

I just can't figure out why now all the air leaks? This is really getting very frustrating........... Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
You probably tried this already, but have you adjusted your straps? If you are changing the cushion and getting worse leaks, it might be that the headgear straps have stretched and might need to be tightened.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and are you using the F20 frame with the F20 and the F30 with the F30. I know the cushions can fit on each other’s frames but I think when I tried they were most secure using the right frame with the right cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
My F20 is still on the new side (one month old), and is a complete assembly. Same goes for my F30 set-up. 

For the longest time, it wasn't uncommon to see zero leaks on the myAir report. When you spend a good part of the night waking up to air leaks and having to correct them, your sleep suffers badly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always had leaks with the F20 also. So I bought a F30 and haven’t looked back except for a short stint trying nasal pillows. I’m back to the F30 now and the only problem I have is occasionally I’ll get a sore spot right where my bottom lip meet the middle of my nose. Other than that it’s been great.
Post Reply Post Reply
My F30 started out great. But, within 6-8 weeks or so, it too, began to leak. Initially, I was very happy, thinking I found the best mask for me. Much more comfy than the F20, and not nearly as intimidating. 

I haven't messed around with the settings on my CPAP machine, other than the ramp and humidity control. I'll see how tonight goes. 

I'm shooting for two years of SA therapy (Sept. 2020), before I decide to continue with it or not. I have an appt. with my sleep doc in May. He knows I'm less than impressed with my progress at this point in time.

If it doesn't improve to some appreciable degree, I just can't justify continuing with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not all cushions last for a long time. I’m only 3 months in and had to switch out the first cushion on the F30. After about 6 weeks I think. Get a replacement and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a mask with a forehead support? Something like a Mirage Quattro?

The forehead support does help to keep it in place. You can probably tighten it down more than an F20 or F30 because the cushion is completely flexible.

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 9 1,473 04-11-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: kalensk
  New User - Mask Seal Error WJ5596 6 417 02-12-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: WJ5596
  F/P Vitera Mask seal problem bryank1 8 1,094 10-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  0/20 mask seal scores... please help! 1978 7 2,139 05-21-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,693 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Equipment] AirSense 10 Water Chamber INLET Seal lcfield 5 2,408 03-09-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: lcfield
  Experience about the the Evora FFM seal ? Albatros 3 868 03-04-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: nmwhitneyjr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.