Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mild Clear Airway - Advice
RE: Mild Clear Airway - Advice
EPR can cause treatment emergent central apnea in some people and it looks like what has happened. They get much less as your body adjusts to the therapy. Your centrals are way to much so try reducing EPR to 1 and see how you do.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Response to SarcasticDave94 post 11-22-93 - I had a WatchPat evaluation results available in my first post  - basically AHI 8, no breakout of the apnea types.

Attached are last few days of use with same settings (press min 7 / max 9, EPR 1)  -  some improvement and an one odd ball day.
Any other suggestions on setting refinements?

Post Reply Post Reply
There does appear to somewhat have the consistent inconsistent CA trait, along with some event clusters. Leak rates are somewhat a concern as well.

Something to try? You could go EPR off and a static pressure, maybe set both min and max to the same number between 7 and 9 (your current). Give it one night, or part of one. See what the stats are.

You may want to discuss with the doc on getting the lab diagnostic so they can monitor for CA and the rest.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night I tried 3 different pressure settings during 5 sessions. Two sessions were very short duration so I didn't include them - likely junk data. The remaining 3 are charted below. These may also provide questionable data because durations weren’t lengthy and sessions not comfortable. BTW I wear a chin strap and neck rest.  Even though the chart Statistics Section shows the last session setting, the actual settings for each session are as follows: 
Chart 1 = press min/max 6/8, EPR 1
Chart 2 = press min/max 8/8, EPR OFF
Chart 3 = press min/max 7/7, EPR OFF

Comments appreciated. 

Post Reply Post Reply
I do not think there is sufficient information in your last charts to make solid recommendations, so take these comments as suggestions.

Now that you are using devices to manage chin-tucking and mouth opening things look much better. 

I reckon that fixed pressure is not something for you to use as you need some EPR to manage flow limitations. EPR 1 is good, but EPR 2 should be better. Stacey and Dave touched on this as well.

I suggest trying a range of 7-12 EPR 2 which should give you a bit more headroom on the top end, a bit more EPR to manage flow limits, and enough range to give the machine a chance to respond to events. Something to ponder...
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, there isn't much to go on here, but I will recommend a similar setting as above. The machine is topping out at the pressure and unable to manage your flow limits accordingly. Keep in mind that flow limits are not a specific thing, it is like the machine is assigning a grade to the flow shape of four breaths compared against the prior four. There are several different types of issues that can cause your breaths to get a bad grade, so zoom in on your OSCAR chart and check out our very own wiki page for more information. EPR is technically included as a comfort feature on the ResMed APAP machines, but it works the same way as their bi-level machine up to a maximum of 3cm H2O. It is a powerful tool, but only you can determine if it helps you feel better or not. In my case, every time I saw flow limitations it was inspiration only, with normal expiratory characteristics, so I elected to leave EPR off and I'm making good progress towards resolving it without using that tool. The two things EPR will do is help some people tolerate higher inspiration pressures, and help ventilate more air on the exhale. If that sounds like you, crank it up, and increase your min and max pressures by at least the same amount, so keep your true minimum pressure (EPAP at min) where it needs to be.
Post Reply Post Reply
Latest chart Pressure 7-12 EPR 2. It appears that higher pressures tend to make nasal pillow leak more, and Flow Limits pick up too. Where to go from here - stay at these settings for a few more nights and see what changes?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pressure Settings for UARS Mild Apnea, Airsense 10 risherwood 3 100 Yesterday, 06:12 AM
Last Post: risherwood
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 130 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 124 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,107 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 388 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 210 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,665 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.