Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Overwhelmed Newb - Just 1 question
Overwhelmed Newb - Just 1 question
Hello all. Nice informative forum. Though much of it is still unknown jargon to me. I'm Dave and I slept for the first time with a machine (at the Doc's office) last night. From what I was told before my sleep appointment, we were to try on masks (we did) then I was going to sleep while they adjusted pressures during the night to find my sweet spots (my terminology).

I have many questions, but just one for today. What am I supposed to feel like today? I got the impression that I was going to feel OMG fantastic because I actually slept well, great, wonderful, etc etc. I just feel like me. It is quarter after 2 in the afternoon and I haven't started to doze off, so that's a very good sign. But I don't feel energetic or like running a mile.

Maybe my expectations have been artificially raised too high. Several people have been building up how great this is going to be. My original sleep test said I woke up 511 times (egad!), took 6 hours to reach REM and then bounced right out of it, and my oxygen levels were at 84%. To me, that sounded horrible and a night with the machine should have made me feel totally different in the morning.

Just looking for some level heads to set my expectations or inform me otherwise.

Thanks
Dave
aka Partsmutt
Happy Wife and kids
Big Yellow Jeep
Homebuilt hardtail
A Dozen Guitars
Once I can sleep, life will be perfect
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Overwhelmed Newb - Just 1 question
Hi Dave!
I'm new to the forum myself, but I have found people here to be exceptionally friendly and helpful, so you're in good company. I also expect that you'll find many people had a similar experience to yours. From what I'm learning it takes a while to get used to having a leaf blower attached to your face, and it takes a while to "learn" how to sleep again. I have certainly had a few mornings when I've managed to keep the mask on for 4 - 6 hours and I wake up and think... cautiously..."Well, I don't feel too bad!" and other nights where I'm ready to throw the thing out the window. Smile Hang in there, go slow, be patient and kind with yourself and ask for lots of help. This is one of the most supportive (and knowledgeable) support forums I've been on, so good luck!!
------------
Allynpsych --- Psychology Professor, wife, and mother of a 4-yr old... in need of a good night's sleep. Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum partsmutt and allynpsych!!

It often takes time to reap the benefits of sleeping better from treating your SA. Be patient. It can take some months for some folks and almost instant results for others. Everyone is different and so are their bodies and medical hx.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
you underwent a sleep test where they were adjusting the machine all over the place, be glad you slept at all. My test was a 30 minute nap for the entire night. Once you get setup with your own equipment, adjusted for you, and at home you may get your expected results or you may have to make adjustments or you may have to get used to sleeping with an alien sitting on your face blowing air up you nose.

Hang in there, stick with it and this is the best treatment there is. (it is not magic though)
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm surprised that you slept at all during a sleep study, and the fact that you haven't dozed off during the day is a good first step.

Once you get your own machine and start using it everyday, you should see more and more positive results. Some people just take longer than others to adjust.
It all depends on getting the right pressure settings, comfort settings, and a good mask fit.

Keep us posted on your progress.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! I am rather new at this also. One thing to keep in mind is that any AHI below 5 and they will consider you "treated". I feel much better if I can get below 2. At 4 or so, I really did not have a good night's sleep. And that is really what it is all about. The numbers are just a guide. Get 3-4 sequential full, good sleeps behind you and then see how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.
I slept only about one hour the whole night of my sleep study and felt like he double L the next day. Most folks tell similar tales. But after several weeks on cpap at home I felt so much better. Even so after 3 months I am still adjusting and trying to find the right mask to stop leaks. Everyone is different and it requires some patience. But it is so worth the effort to add years to one's life. Hang in there...things will improve!
Inspired
Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi partsmutt,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I had 2 sleep studies when I first got started because, I didn't get to sleep in time to be fitted with a mask and CPAP machine. The first time was just to prove I had sleep apnea and the second time was for me to be fitted with the mask and machine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. I'll assume you haven't gotten your machine yet. That's great.

Read through the links in my Useful Links at the bottom of this post.

If you don't know what's going on, there's a good chance you'll be screwed with an inferior CPAP machine. There are some things you can do to try and get the right machine.

It's CRITICAL to get a fully data capable CPAP machine.

As for feeling better, if you haven't gotten your own machine yet, it doesn't mean much. When they're giving you your sleep test, they're trying to "find the bound" of your apnea and pressure needs.

They're not trying to give you a good night's sleep. In fact, they're mostly trying to observe a bad night's sleep and figure out how to fix it. You should NOT expect to feel good the night after a sleep test.

Once you get your own CPAP machine, a number of things can happen.

1) You're "cured" and sleep happily ever after with your CPAP every night.

2) It takes a while before you feel better.

3) You take a while before your brain accepts being hooked up to the facehugger from alien and getting adjusted to not being strangled all night long. You sleep poorly, and you feel bad until you start sleeping well again.

4) Your CPAP is working "right," but your body and brain are so adjusted to being strangled every night that you actually feel worse for a while. Your body and brain are used to oxygen deprivation, stress, etc., and have made adjustments to compensate. Now that you're not being strangled, these adjustment make you feel bad. Think of it as feeling bad after you stop smoking, drinking, recreational drugs, certain legitimate drugs, etc. It gets better after a while.

5) You get the CPAP, but it's not really set right to fix your apnea. This is why it's CRITICAL to get one of the fully data capable CPAP machines. You or your doctor may need to adjust your pressure settings to make it actually work right for you in your real world sleep situation, instead of one night in a lab.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2016, 07:55 PM)archangle Wrote: Welcome. I'll assume you haven't gotten your machine yet. That's great.

Read through the links in my Useful Links at the bottom of this post.

If you don't know what's going on, there's a good chance you'll be screwed with an inferior CPAP machine. There are some things you can do to try and get the right machine.

It's CRITICAL to get a fully data capable CPAP machine.

As for feeling better, if you haven't gotten your own machine yet, it doesn't mean much. When they're giving you your sleep test, they're trying to "find the bound" of your apnea and pressure needs.

They're not trying to give you a good night's sleep. In fact, they're mostly trying to observe a bad night's sleep and figure out how to fix it. You should NOT expect to feel good the night after a sleep test.

Once you get your own CPAP machine, a number of things can happen.

1) You're "cured" and sleep happily ever after with your CPAP every night.

2) It takes a while before you feel better.

3) You take a while before your brain accepts being hooked up to the facehugger from alien and getting adjusted to not being strangled all night long. You sleep poorly, and you feel bad until you start sleeping well again.

4) Your CPAP is working "right," but your body and brain are so adjusted to being strangled every night that you actually feel worse for a while. Your body and brain are used to oxygen deprivation, stress, etc., and have made adjustments to compensate. Now that you're not being strangled, these adjustment make you feel bad. Think of it as feeling bad after you stop smoking, drinking, recreational drugs, certain legitimate drugs, etc. It gets better after a while.

5) You get the CPAP, but it's not really set right to fix your apnea. This is why it's CRITICAL to get one of the fully data capable CPAP machines. You or your doctor may need to adjust your pressure settings to make it actually work right for you in your real world sleep situation, instead of one night in a lab.

+1

Read BEFORE going to DME and getting a machine........
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 219 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need to start CPAP and feeling overwhelmed shipofools999 11 1,156 10-06-2023, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Fabby
Question [CPAP] Noob - overwhelmed with Oscar Data Lobelia48 9 887 02-08-2023, 03:58 AM
Last Post: chewielotuses
  [CPAP] Another Newb Help/Oscar Post Gathermewool 9 16,428 02-03-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Gathermewool
Gross Just downloaded Oscar and overwhelmed imsmitty3 7 869 10-27-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Stressed and overwhelmed N00b - Where to start? araminta 9 911 06-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Geer1
  [Equipment] High RDI low AHI. Overwhelmed with machine choices, OSCAR data, etc.. ldinks 8 2,631 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.