Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Parse overnight data possible?
RE: Parse overnight data possible?
Hey Red - I get your point, but let me elaborate what I see as the difference between "good" bad data and "bad" bad data:

"Good" bad data is if in the normal course of a typical sleep session I experience issues that are NOT attributed to external, uncommon variable. If I'm restless, don;t go into REM (or have issues while in it), or anything else sleep related, that's OK and good to account for as part of what I'd call the "typical sleep session or experience." A crappy nights sleep, barring interruption from other things, is perfectly OK and should be included in an analysis.

"Bad" bad data is like a car alarm going off outside my window at 2AM, or incessant dog barking that prevents falling asleep for along period or waking you up at 4AM, or as happened last night, a moving truck pulling into our cul-de-sac at 5AM and the guys talking loudly. Unplanned, uncommon variables that disrupt what would have otherwise been a normal sleep session (however normal is for you - good of bad).  So if my neighbor decides to jackhammer his driveway at midnight, I need to count my data for that night? I think my cholesterol corollary is a good one to describe how the medical community recommends "adjusting" a variable (fasting, even though it's not typical behavior) in order to get a more accurate assessment (even though you might argue that eating 2 Big Macs and a double cheese pizza every day IS your "normal" diet).

I'm not sure I see the difference between this and providing guidance and instructions on how to change/override machine settings. Anyway, if I've failed to make the case so be it. Just thought I'd throw it out as a suggestion and benefit for users based on my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent discussion!   A back and forth, causes one to think.    Well-done
Keep up the good work.  
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okey-dokey! Thanks for listening. Let me know if anything comes of it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Phillips threw out some outlier data a bit over a decade ago. That outlier data is what led to the recall of essentially every pap they made prior to two years ago. They literally said this isn't bad enough so we (Phillips) can ignore it.

If that is truly uncommon data then just ignore it. If not then you want to know it, understand it, and react to it, even if your conclusion is to ignore it.

I can see The possibility of shading in some pastel color those areas the user feels are abnormal, possibly displaying the stats for all, current process, and the stats without the indicated area displaying both sets of data. That with some form of notes indicating why the area was flagged.
Post Reply Post Reply
That sounds like a different situation than the one I'm presenting. Manufacturer has no role in it. The user alone makes a judgement call if the previous nights data (or segment thereof) represents a valid sleep session and can choose to include/exclude it in the summary stats. All th data remains on the card. A toggle allows to include or exclude prior to running a report and whether it is included in the summary stats. They chan change their mind later if they wish. Easy peasy breezy.

I think there's a risk of making this too complex. It's a simple option that would allow a user to say "last night's sleep sucked since my neighbor decided to work on his car in the driveway all night long - nobody could sleep with that" and omit that segment of data from their stats/report (provided its a separate data log segment and not part of a much larger segment in which you cannot isolate those hours). If two days later you change your mind you can go back to that days record and flip the switch to include that data in everything.

In my attached example you may see why - In my first segment I had an AHI of 1.04 which is very consistent with recent readings. But after I was woken up by the sound of my dog puking, My second segment came in at 9.52, entirely inconsistent due to the late time, jumping out of bed to move her from the carpet to the tile, and after being awake for about 15 minutes. I want to omit that segment. Unusual circumstances.

Something like:
1. From the Daily view - select the segment of data (color bar in lower left corner) that you wish to omit from being counted in the stats or a report you run
2. From top menu bar: Data >Advanced>Purge Current Selected Segment>Message: "Omitting this data from Reports and Stats does NOT delete the data. This option is reversible"
3. Add the option to disable to include the data if desired

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm saying flag it unusual circumstances and present both sets of results. Then you can easily compare the differences.

I have had individuals say I don't need to see the full chart, actually insisting on it. After a week of arguing he posted the full set of data and after a 15 second look at his full set of data I solved his problem.

The bottom line is I feel it is essential to include all the data. After you show me that view, and by all means tell me that you fell the first two hrs or whatever are junk because of a, b,c. I'll add that input into my consideration.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how to interpret your reply so I'll just say there's no issue with presenting both sets of data, or allowing the user to toggle between views, and to allow your "flagged data" to remain flagged so you can see it in the trend over time.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 3 317 03-29-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Viatom/WellUE data is different than OSCAR displayed data GordK 3 358 02-23-2024, 04:48 PM
Last Post: GordK
  Data structure / data definition of AirSense 11 CD, CMSd50+ or OSCAR?hing obvious, … Perickson 4 1,730 02-18-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Perickson
  Small unicode and parse issue in 1.5.0 clan 0 411 09-24-2023, 03:13 AM
Last Post: clan
  Changed data directory from OneDrive, Now can't read data Rich66 9 1,117 08-24-2023, 11:32 PM
Last Post: Rich66
  Import CSV data file without matching SD card sleep data 2SleepBetta 4 1,303 09-30-2021, 05:55 AM
Last Post: Neelix
  Multiple Sesssions - same overnight sleep block BSDf dasHaus 2 635 04-27-2021, 08:13 PM
Last Post: BSDf dasHaus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.