Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings
Looking for advice about ASV settings
Hello,

I've been using my ASV for about six months with mixed results.

My current settings are:

Min EPAP- 6.2
Max EPAP- 8.0
Min PS- 4.2
Max PS- 12.0

My AHI is usually under 1.0, but I'm having issues with not getting enough response from my machine. When I'm having central apneas (Cheynes Stokes breathing), at the end of my exhale, my airways completely close off and don't allow air in until it wakes me up or I just sleep right through it. Either way, I feel like because of this I don't get good sleep, in general. 

With these current level settings, could it be a question of needing to raise levels higher in order to enable the air to penetrate my airways (nostrils; I use an AirFit N30i)?
Or could it be a question of position? (I've been sleeping on my back in a semi-fowler's position)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for advice about ASV settings
Here's an attachment of my data.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Something you may try is an edit to settings. To remedy to lack of response in CA, likely you need an edit in PS. I would consider going to default PS just a night to see what it does, this is PS 3-15.

Moving the min PS back to 3 may make things a bit more comfortable until higher PS is called for. Adding higher PS may well give the ASV the extra power it needs to jolt a breath during CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the input, SarcasticDave...

I just made that adjustment to the PS level, and I'll let you know how it goes tonight!

I was wondering, I've been sleeping in a semi-fowler's position for about five months now.
Could it be possible that I'm having obstructive events when my chin tucks? (I chose to sleep in this position to prevent horrible aerophagia I was having a few months back)
I just thought about that as the possible issue with feeling like I'm not getting responsive air from my ASV...
Post Reply Post Reply
Given that chart, if it represents your normal, positional didn't show there. They would be a nasty cluster of events typically in the Obstructive blue marker line.

Take a look at the board wiki and find positional apnea examples.

Here's one from the wiki, clusters circled.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2024, 06:48 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Something you may try is an edit to settings. To remedy to lack of response in CA, likely you need an edit in PS. I would consider going to default PS just a night to see what it does, this is PS 3-15.

Moving the min PS back to 3 may make things a bit more comfortable until higher PS is called for. Adding higher PS may well give the ASV the extra power it needs to jolt a breath during CA.

I agree completely. Since ASV changes PS breath to breath, giving it this range is most effective. The upper values will only be used when needed, when the minute ventilation falls significantly below the target value, or a CA occurs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that clarification, SarcasticDave. Makes very good sense. And I'll look at more examples of Obstructive Events. (I'm very new at all of this...)
I currently don't use a soft collar, but I think I'll look into buying one so as to be more comfortable as I sleep...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, too, Stevew168!

I appreciate your clarification and the support.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice wanted for CPAP settings & central apneas EnigmaticToad 0 55 7 hours ago
Last Post: EnigmaticToad
  Advice on CA Sackman101 8 165 04-29-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Sackman101
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 134 04-23-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,145 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 219 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,716 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 409 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.