Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question on settings on Resmed S9
Question 
Question on settings on Resmed S9
Hey guys, I am new here. I am 45 years old and I have had sleep apnea for a while. Had a sleep study done in maybe 2001 and got my first machine then. After a few years that first one broke and I got a new one around 2005-2006, a Resmed Escape II S8. I still have that till this day. Yea, I know its an old POS probably. 

It's set to EPR 2, no ramp, CPAP start at 4 and its set to CPAP 9.0. 

I dont think its starts at 4 as I have the ramp turned off from the main home screen and it always sounds like it goes right to 9 when I turn it on. 

My dad gave me one of his old machines since he has a new one from a few years ago. He gave me his Resmed S9 with the humidifier and a new Swift LT mask.

Since this is one of those fancy auto cpap machines, what do I set the auto settings too? I assume I will just set the Max Pressure to 20, so It can go past 9 if I ever needed it, but what about the low? It's set to 4 on it? Should I at least set to to 9 since thats what I was tested at 20 years ago or leave it at 4? I always felt anything under 9 right off the bat seems like I was choking or not getting enough air when I was trying to fall asleep. That's why I never used the ramp feature.  I didnt know if having it start off at 4 would feel the same at the beginning make it hard to fall asleep. Or should I use it like my old machine and turn off the autocpap and just set it to 9?

As a side note I have been losing weight this past 5 months, so hopefully that improves my apnea so maybe I would need less air at the beginning? I'm down from 227 to 199.

Thanks

-Dean
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question on settings on Resmed S9
Hi Dean,

You used your S8 at a static pressure of 9cm, and you're now switching to an
S9 Auto.  Since you were uncomfortable with anything under 9cm, I would set the minimum pressure at 9 and maximum at 15.  For comfort, set EPR to 2.  

Use it for a couple days so we can get an idea where your median and 95% pressure readings will fall.  This is a good test to see how you feel using the Auto mode.

I would expect some adjustments, depending on what we see and how you feel.  

Be sure you have an SD card in your machine while sleeping.  

Download the free OSCAR software.  You can upload Screenshots of your data here for review.  See the links in my signature line to guide you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense11 Question RobertLadd26 0 8 45 minutes ago
Last Post: RobertLadd26
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,375 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 159 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 554 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Treatment] Oscar/ Dialing in Settings / ResMed 11 Jintyo76 2 359 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Jintyo76
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 548 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 924 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.