Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Spetzal's therapy thread (Help needed with DreamStation BiPap)
RE: Spetzal's therapy thread (Help needed with DreamStation BiPap)
It only took one image to see the problem with session on 12/10, and the poor results do not reflect on the settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As part of my learning curve, i need to understand how youre arriving at the conclusion, which im not disputing.

Let me take this one observation/screenshot at a time, and i will ask you (sleeprider) to comfirm or correct me.

1) looking at this screenshot of a period with no events…..im perceiving a more/less normal expiration flow but the inspiration flow has jagged peaks and also what im referring to as a “hiccup”/smaller peak about halfway between expiration trough and inspiration peak.  These peaks indicate the presence of positional/chin tucking….otherwise the inspiration flow would be more like a gentle rolling hill.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your inspiratory flow during this period where there is no apparent chin-tucking, has characteristic mild flow limitation which is described in this wiki article http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...limitation You are achieving normal tidal volume in a normal inspiratory period, but there is some slowing of the inspiratory flow. This is not something we need to correct, but inspiratory flow might be further rounded by higher pressure support of a longer duration of IPAP pressure. We cannot tell from your chart what the mask pressure is doing, and whether the plateau or decline in peak flow is related to a drop in IPAP pressure or restriction in the airway.

Where flow limitation is more severe, we normally resolve flow limitation by using additional pressure support, however you have expressed concerns about using higher pressure or pressure support. Your inspiratory flow curve often shows a good strong initial flow increase to a sharp peak followed by a decrease in flow with no secondary or tertiary flow peaks. This suggests as you approach peak flow rate, your inspiratory effort rapidly diminishes and inspiratory flow declines until you expiration begins.  During chin-tucking, we would see much greater flow limitation as inspiratory flow is squashed by the obstruction. You can see an example of this looking at your 12/10/22 chart closeup at 20:10:30.

Some studies have attempted to classify flow limitation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4688581/ and your flow is described as a Type 4 Flow Limitation where there is a peak during the initial phase followed by a plateau.  This suggests initial effective phasic upper airway dilation with a slowing of inspiratory flow. This is a borderline FL and may not interfere with normal respiratory volume or effort.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=46325]

Table 1
Classes of inspiratory flow shapes.

Class Description Interpretation Flow limitation
1 Sinusoidal Normal inspiration No
2 Two peaks during inspiration Upper airway reopening after initial collapse Yes
3 Three or more (tiny) peaks Soft-tissue vibration during inspiration Yes
4 Peak during the initial phase followed by a plateau Initial opening indicates effective phasic upper airway dilation Yes/No
5 Peak at midinspiration with plateau on both sides Significance uncertain; intensive phasic muscle activity at midinspiration (?) Yes
6 Peak during late phase preceded by a plateau Marked tracheal traction support during lung inflation Yes
7 Plateau throughout inspiration Collapse of noncompliant upper airway Yes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, that was an excellent and highly informative response!  Im at th gym right now getting less fat, and will respond more in a bit.

Goimg forward, i now understand that showing 02 and HR graphs on my screenshots are no longer necessary I think.  I did read the OSCAR guide about the 5 most typically relevant graphs to show in screenshots.  Due to my laptop’s physical screen size and resolution constraints, i can only show 4 graphs in a single screenshot.  From this point on, which 4 would you prioritize?  I can always swap out in a subsequence screenshot if needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider, while awaiting your response, I am posting a screenshot of 12/10 during a time with no events, and providing a different set of gaphs which I think might address some of the unknowns referenced in your post #43

Disregard the increased AHI ansd time period, as I went back to sleep later and uploaded the data.

Post Reply Post Reply
Graphs content is fine but replace respiration rate with leaks. Consider adding a dotted line at zero on the flow-rate. (right-click near y-axis for menu)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rate is graphed directly above resp rate
Post Reply Post Reply
Events, Flow, Pressure, Leaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
removed calendar, sorted graphs as you indicated, and added "zero" dotted line to flow rate and "max"/"min"" dotted lines to pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
With the recent acquirement of a heated tube, I decided to try the sleep study recommendation again of CPAP 13 w/CFlex 3 (but using soft collar)

Attached is screenshot of the night; ignore everything after 2 AM as I took the collar off and was just resting mostly awake

Observations:
1) had the collar on too tight; caused significant neck pain and headache; was subconciously aware much of the night/restless
2) I perceive that it was actually provoking some degree of OA
3) all this impacted the results to an unknown degree
4) With the heated tubing, that previously perceived "excessive pressure" causing severe sinus/ear pain is now not only tolerated but quite pleasant....had to do a little fiddling, as apparently its only such at a specific tube heating setting and humidity setting combo.  The Dreamstation doesnt allow tubing to be set at a particular temp, but rather 1 of 5 preset (exact degree unknown to me) temperatures.

Screenshot 1: night overview
Screenshot 2: time with no events

During no events, I THINK what Im seeing is an improved (not great, but improved) flow rate.  The plateau and peak on inspiration is less jagged/pronounced, and the expiration isnt quite so sharp in its drop.  The general flow is more rounded/rolling hills, compared to the night of 12/11 discussed in posts# 42 and 43.  Im also tolerating the CFlex this time around, but i do dislike how it seems to "anticipate" my inhale/exhale, as opposed to "respond" to it. (I read somewhere that ResMed EPR does the opposite?)  I perceive a somewhat insufficient support on exhale and Im not sure my inhale is sufficient.  Im understand what CFlex is, but I have no practical experience with it, or understand its full impact.

My preference is to avoid a sleep collar if feasible, and the sleep study from 4 months ago was done without one. 
I intend to try CPAP 13 again tonight, without a collar this time, and observe results.

Sleeprider (or whoever), do you have any observations/opinions?  especially on possibly changing (or eliminating) the CFlex setting?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dalemazkour - Therapy Help Dalemazkour 23 475 7 hours ago
Last Post: Dalemazkour
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,968 364,038 Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Last Post: btreger
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 87 1,834 04-25-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  secunix Therapy Thread secunix 0 82 04-25-2024, 02:30 AM
Last Post: secunix
  Second attemp at therapy Jonkier 8 235 04-24-2024, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Jonkier
  New to BiPAP Therapy: Seeking Guidance on Settings Kevinbipap 4 149 04-24-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Kevinbipap
  [CPAP] Starting therapy - 3 days in, help and recommendations joedes 6 273 04-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.