Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Tips for continuing PAP through a cold
Tips for continuing PAP through a cold
Hi all

I guess I could have searched for past posts on this topic, but not feeling too great....... amazingly through 6 months of PAP therapy I have not caught a cold (nor COVID) until now where I have caught a cold.   Any tips / pearls for continuing therapy through a cold?  Some things I'm finding/ thinking about:

1) with a sore/ sensitive throat, I found the past couple of nights that the usual airflow that I tolerate fine is irritating my throat, making me cough, and waking me up.  I'm going to try dialing up the humidity setting to see if that will help....

2) I am using nasal pillows with mouth taping to prevent mouth leaks. However with a good mouth taping, I find that you just cannot cough very well. I think I have to leave mouth taping off, so then will get mouth leaks I guess....

3) my nose is not too congested yet, but, if it gets more congested, the nasal pillows are not going to work.   I have a FFM that I usually dont like to use as much. I could switch over to that, but not sure how comfortable it will be coughing, hacking and slobbering into the FFM!

appreciate any tips!   luckily my apnea is not too severe (AHI around 17 if off therapy), so in my case, if needed, I can just go without for a few days and will be ok, but will snore like a loud train and keep my wife awake!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Tips for continuing PAP through a cold
Try afrin / sudafed for the congestion. Helped me clear my sinuses right up during my last sickness and made it easy to continue using cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
3) "my nose is not too congested yet, but, if it gets more congested, the nasal pillows are not going to work"

Actually the opposite is true.  I have found that with the direct air in the nostrils, it has the ability to blast through any congestion.

Raising the humidity may help with a dry irritated throat.  The air should be a little warm, not cold.  I would leave the tape off until your coughing subsides.   Cold

Don't worry about numbers or low level leaks while you have this cold.  It's best to focus on feeling better.  You can always get back on track after the cold is gone.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My father suffers from pre-waking congestion and agrees with OpalRose.  He says the nasal pillows are the cat's butt because they open the nostrils and provide more forceful access to the nasal cavity for the therapeutic volume of air it is meant to deliver to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my pap machine through covid with no problem.  I also mouth tape and have found that I can cough inside my mouth without opening my mouth at all.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 69 2,660 4 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 16 363 04-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: jake79
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,441 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 373 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,927 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Camping with CPAP - any tips? SuperSleeper 43 7,965 10-16-2023, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  Tips for adjusting chin strap? TiredTom111 8 1,433 09-10-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Bluesv6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.