Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

What does CPAP pressure really do?
So I was thinking (I know, bad habit) about how an obstructive apnea event happens. The muscles in the throat are voluntary so when we relax in sleep, they do too.

And we also know that a normal CPAP set to 20cmH2O does not have enough umph to blow up a balloon. We know that it does not inflate our lungs like a ventilator can.

So if it cannot blow up a balloon, then how does it open the airway? Those muscles must weigh a lot, especially for those of us who are obese and have the added fat to lift.

Does the pressure actually force the airway open?

OR does it cause some sort of stimulation that makes us open it on our own without us realizing we are doing it?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-21-2013 02:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

RE: What does CPAP pressure really do?
That would be a good project for someone with a bronchio scope and sensitive manometer to play with.
All I know is that I go into O2 desaturation events without a certain amount of minimum pressure.

Wink
01-21-2013 03:30 PM
SPOUSE Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Looks like "Genes" posted a pretty good explanation back in October. Search "how does cpap machine work".

(01-21-2013 02:41 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  So I was thinking (I know, bad habit) about how an obstructive apnea event happens. The muscles in the throat are voluntary so when we relax in sleep, they do too.

And we also know that a normal CPAP set to 20cmH2O does not have enough umph to blow up a balloon. We know that it does not inflate our lungs like a ventilator can.

So if it cannot blow up a balloon, then how does it open the airway? Those muscles must weigh a lot, especially for those of us who are obese and have the added fat to lift.

Does the pressure actually force the airway open?

OR does it cause some sort of stimulation that makes us open it on our own without us realizing we are doing it?
01-21-2013 06:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Sex: Male

The CPAP machine doesn't blow up your lungs like a balloon. Your diaphram pulls downward lowering the pressure inside your lungs so the atmosphere can push its way in. The problem with OSA is that the entryway to the lungs collapses so that the diaphram can't pull the air in. The CPAP machine inflates the airway solving the problem.

It is amazing how little pressure it takes to do this in the vast majority of cases.

In extreme cases CPAP machines cannot deliver enough pressure to open the airway. The only options available at that point are surgery. In the most extreme cases that surgery is the dreaded tracheotomy. New robotic surgeries offer an alternative to many of these people.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
01-21-2013 06:26 PM
archangle Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

My understanding is that it's purely mechanical inflation of the airway.

Imagine if the hose on your CPAP was made of thin leather like the leather on the fingers of a glove. It also doesn't have the spiral spring that most CPAP hoses have. Now, disconnect from the CPAP and run the leather hose across the table. Lay some raw steaks on top of it. Now, imagine putting the end in your mouth and trying to inhale through it. The hose would probably collapse, blocking off airflow.

Now, hook up the CPAP machine, turn it on, and it will inflate the leather hose and let air flow through.

In some ways, your airway is sort of like a floppy leather tube with meat around it.

Actually, I believe it's only the area around the back of your nose and mouth that are floppy like this, but the idea is valid. The flexible parts of your airway flop closed and a little extra air pressure can inflate the collapsed area and let air flow through.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-21-2013 08:51 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Gross but for a visual person like me, I can see it exactly. Thanks!

Of course the lungs have not just the muscle of the diaphragm, but also the weight of the ribs and a much larger area. The throat is a very small space comparatively.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

01-21-2013 09:48 PM
archangle Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

(01-21-2013 09:48 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  Gross but for a visual person like me, I can see it exactly. Thanks!

Of course the lungs have not just the muscle of the diaphragm, but also the weight of the ribs and a much larger area. The throat is a very small space comparatively.

I tried to think of something less gross than steak to use as an example, but couldn't figure out something that would convey the idea as well.

While I was thinking about it, I realized that most of the windpipe actually does have rings of cartilage or something to keep it from collapsing. You can sort of feel this in your neck. I never realized why that was there before.

At least, I think that's the way the windpipe is.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
01-22-2013 02:42 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,283 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  [Pressure] Adjusting pressure on RESmart CPAP machine garyd86421 5 460 10-20-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: garyd86421
  [CPAP] ANOTHER CPAP PRESSURE CHANGE!!! jennie54 3 428 10-11-2016 04:44 PM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas
  Auto-Trial –delivers CPAP therapy adjusting pressure 30days ICEMAN 8 1,242 09-24-2016 12:34 PM
Last Post: green wings
  [CPAP] new CPAP patient: air pressure questions giftofsleep 6 513 09-21-2016 12:00 AM
Last Post: chill
  Is it okay to decrease cpap pressure after nose surgery? kowlooner 8 579 09-13-2016 11:33 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
  RESMED S9 CPAP SET PRESSURE VIDEO jxyzobrien 0 329 08-21-2016 06:05 AM
Last Post: jxyzobrien