Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

insurance doesn't cover supplies
insurance doesn't cover supplies
I have an AirSense 10 and use the P30i nasal pillows. I have high deductible insurance through work, which essentially means I have to pay cash for everything for my CPAP, including replacement supplies. Replacement P30i nasal pillows are like $30 each! I would like to try the Large P30i nasal pillows (I've been using Medium), because my nose has been getting really sore/chapped, but I can't imagine paying $30+ for something just to try it out. I don't see the Large for sale on Amazon at the moment (the Medium seems to be about $15 there). Do I just have to hit the lottery to afford my supplies, or is there a secret I don't know about? I hate to spend anything at the end of the year like this, because my deductible resets on January 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: insurance doesn't cover supplies
eBay has one for 23 and another for 19
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I worry a little bit about third-party sellers, since these come in a ziploc bag and are not sealed. How do you know you're not getting used nasal pillows? There's no way to tell by looking, I don't think.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe they are new but you can alwaYs wash it to make sure. I have purchased several at eBay. How they are made they are easily cleaned.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I understand!  It's one thing buying a used Cpap, which I would do, but when it comes to things like nasal pillows or cushions, I would not want used.  But that's just me.   Rolleyes

I was searching for you, and it seems like the size large is hard to come by.  
Keep an eye on some of the suppliers on the list at top of page.  With a Holiday approaching, they may start advertising sales.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2021, 11:28 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I believe they are new but you can alwaYs wash it to make sure. I have purchased several at eBay. How they are made they are easily cleaned.

I'm afraid a used nasal pillow could potentially be worn out. I need new ones because after a while, maybe every 6 weeks, my nasal pillows start to get soft and I get leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I get a new P10 mask it comes with 3 different cushions. It could be these are the unused ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2021, 12:33 PM)Gideon Wrote: When I get a new P10 mask it comes with 3 different cushions.  It could be these are the unused ones.

Yes, I used to use that mask and would get three, one of each size. But the p30i only comes with one nasal pillow  Thumbs-down-1
Post Reply Post Reply
My first one came with a “fit” pack of 3. Small med and large. After that they would allow 1 every 6 months. That is when I started ordering firm eBay.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-20-2021, 10:37 AM)JenniferJuniper Wrote: I have an AirSense 10 and use the P30i nasal pillows. I have high deductible insurance through work, which essentially means I have to pay cash for everything for my CPAP, including replacement supplies. Replacement P30i nasal pillows are like $30 each! I would like to try the Large P30i nasal pillows (I've been using Medium), because my nose has been getting really sore/chapped, but I can't imagine paying $30+ for something just to try it out. I don't see the Large for sale on Amazon at the moment (the Medium seems to be about $15 there). Do I just have to hit the lottery to afford my supplies, or is there a secret I don't know about? I hate to spend anything at the end of the year like this, because my deductible resets on January 1.

I was in this situation for several years -- a high-deductible health plan, and not enough other expenses to satisfy the deductible.  So I did two things to lower my costs:

1. I bought supplies from online suppliers, like [DME link removed, instead, go to Supplier #1], where the prices are significantly lower than the insurance-authorized prices at the DME.  Many of the online suppliers also have periodic sales that bring the prices down even further.
  2. I funded an HSA account, then claimed reimbursements from that account for my supply purchases. Routing the money through the HSA effectively discounted the price by my effective federal tax rate.  (Most CPAP supplies, including masks / tubes / filters / hoses, are all HSA-eligible.  Things like "mask wipes" are not.)
Between buying online, watching for the 10-15-20% off sales, and using an HSA -- it's not hard to save around 30-40% compared to buying from the DME.

-----
Moderator Action: DME Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, links to DME-owned or DME-operated websites and links to pages that sell prescription-required items are prohibited in forum posts.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Going in Circles; CPAP doesn't seem effective; ENT? RainyDog 4 108 04-24-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: RainyDog
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 12 328 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 83 04-18-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Worried about insurance requirement to see doctor within 90 days NewlyDiagnosed 9 262 04-10-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 221 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,728 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 249 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.