Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] (/Thread-Equipment-Masks-What-to-use-with-stuffy-nose)

Pages: 1 2

Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - Cheffy - 03-06-2018

New to CPAP, enjoying great success 
My only problem is i suffer from stuffy nose every once in a while and my pillow style mask (that I normally love) doesn't work 
Does anyone switch to a full face style mask for this reason when this happens
Do not want to make permanent switch just when i am stuffed up?
Thanks for looking 
look forward to the respose
Cheffy

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - OpalRose - 03-06-2018

Hi Cheffy,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

You’ll probably get different responses, but for me, I’ve never had to switch from a pillows mask when congested.

Surprisingly, early on in my treatment, I discovered that the air delivered via nostril was enough to clear out any nasal congestion I was suffering with.

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - PaulaO2 - 03-06-2018

Same with me. I used a full face mask for a while for another reason. When I had seasonal allergies blockage, I had more trouble with the FFM than I did with my pillows.

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - Gideon - 03-06-2018

Many years ago my thought was that every user needed a FFM as backup for when they were stuffy.  I could certainly use a FFM when stuffy but what I discovered was that when I was real bad stuffed, just using pm P10 pillows, or my nasal mask for a couple of minutes really cleared it up.  

That said, you should always have a backup mask that you can use.  It can be the same model or a different one.  You never know when the dog will discover a new chew toy, or it fell on the floor and you stepped on it (Cruuunnnchhhh!!!).

Fred

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - trish6hundred - 03-06-2018

Hi Cheffy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - Hydrangea - 03-07-2018

Originally I switched to a FFM when I was stuffy, and that was an ok solution.

But so many here have said their P10s blow right through the stuffiness, I finally decided to give it a try. Sure enough, they're right! It was tough to breathe for maybe(?) 2 min, but sure enough it opened up my breathing passageway and it no longer was stuffy (while on CPAP). I'm quite impressed! It didn't take too long (just a couple minutes).

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - Cheffy - 03-07-2018

Thanks for the great responses 
i will keep with the pillow style i have now and see if it breaks up the stuffy.
But i love the idea of having a back up and will probable go full face for that
thanks for the help
Cheffyu

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - SideSleeper - 03-07-2018

There are somethings that help with stuffy noses--nasal sprays, Breathe Right nose strips and theNeilMed Sinus Rinse system--I've used the spray bottle not the NetiPot. I have a chronic rhinitis that nothing helps--my nose is a little stuffy all day. I started out with the Sinus Rinse because I didn't know how I would sleep without the CPAP mask and not open my mouth. After awhile I quit using it and found my small amount of stuffiness does not get worse, but better, under pressure with CPAP. I've only had about 3 incidents of waking up not able to breath with my nose firmly plugged up in two and a half years of CPAP use. I've had to do some pretty heavy breathing for a minute or so a few times but then things open up again.

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - Sheepish - 03-07-2018

Similar experience here. A P10 or similar nasal pillow mask actually helps relieve what used to be pretty obtrusive rhinitis. As mentioned, give it a few minutes to get working when you start your session, and give it a few days to get used to it. Use a dab of Lansinoh if needed. Only advice I'd add is to use the humidifier and heated tube functions, assuming you have them, and perhaps adjust those setting up or down according to your preference and comfort level.

Welcome
[Image: animated-smileys-dancing-078.gif]
Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana Banana

RE: Masks [What to use with stuffy nose] - Walla Walla - 03-07-2018

Vomit I was staring at the above post too long.