Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any downsides to heated tube?
Any downsides to heated tube?
I'm just past the halfway point of a seven-night trial using an AirSense 10 Autoset machine with Dreamwear nasal cushion mask and a Caldera Releaf cervical collar. I'm now consistently recording 0.6 to 0.7 AHI each night.

When I used a PAP machine several years ago, I started getting chronic sinus infections and "soggy sounding" nasal passages that went away when I discontinued PAP therapy. My sleep doctor said that this time around I might try using a heated tube to see if it helps prevent these.

A heated tube was not available last week when I picked up the loaner machine I'm currently using, so I've been using a regular, non-heated tube. The tech said she would work things out for me to receive a heated tube if I want one when I receive my permanent machine.

I think it's too early to tell if sinus issues will be a problem this time -- I think they took a few weeks to manifest when I used PAP before. My inclination would be to accept a heated tube, and simply turn it off if it doesn't seem to help.

Are there any possible downsides of going with a heated tube? I've looked at the thread here, and don't see anything that looks concerning. I'm just wondering if they are more complicated to clean? My sleep clinic told me to clean the mask components, tube and humidifier tray daily in warm, soapy water, so I'm currently just throwing them in together every morning for a quick cleaning. Does a heated tube have electrical components you need to be careful with?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any downsides to heated tube?
You can always turn the heated tube off.  I find it significantly more comfortable.  I do have the non-heated tube as a backup and when I am camping and thus on DC battery power and have a need to conserve power.

The biggest downside, that you will not like it "heated"  (and it is not much heat).

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Fred. Is there anything special required in cleaning a heated tube? Or can you just throw it into warm, soapy water?
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was me I would get the Heated hose from the DME then buy a slimline hose from Amazon if you need it. A slimline hose is very cheap.
Post Reply Post Reply
dry it out, especially the connectors before plugging in. 

Something about water and electricity.  Shock-2
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2019, 02:59 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: If it was me I would get the Heated hose from the DME then buy a slimline hose from Amazon if you need it. A slimline hose is very cheap.

Sounds like a good plan.

(01-06-2019, 03:02 PM)bonjour Wrote: dry it out, especially the connectors before plugging in. 

Something about water and electricity.  Shock-2

Roger that.  :lightningbolt:
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a heated hose for my machine, although I never turn it on. When it comes to cleaning it, that's done every Monday morning. 

It gets submerged in hot water and Dawn dish soap, and then swished around. I make sure that it is full of hot soapy water. It gets rinsed with hot water and then hung up all day to dry out. By bedtime, it's as dry as a bone in the desert.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2019, 03:44 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I have a heated hose for my machine, although I never turn it on. When it comes to cleaning it, that's done every Monday morning. 

It gets submerged in hot water and Dawn dish soap, and then swished around. I make sure that it is full of hot soapy water. It gets rinsed with hot water and then hung up all day to dry out. By bedtime, it's as dry as a bone in the desert.

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my current non-heated slim-line tubing, except that the handout sheet I got from my sleep clinic told me to do it daily. I'm wondering if this is really necessary -- I'd probably clean the mask components daily, but the tube less often -- but since I had a prior history of sinus infections while on APAP I guess I'll err on the side of being ultra-clean.

The handout sheet also calls for "disinfection" of the mask components, tubing and humidifier chamber "as needed," but there's no indication as to how to decide when it's needed, or how to do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look for posts by Melman.  He is/was a microbiologist in charge of sanitation/sterilization for big pharma and others.  Weekly is often enough and many here are a LOT less frequent than that.  And don't get a machine to do it for you such as is advertised on TV and elsewhere.

SoClean is a placebo to offset manifestation of hypochondria and has nothing to do with sleep apnea, related conditions, or equipment.
This! I would just add, that the company marketing SoClean is instilling hypochondria through its advertising.
A serious malady that they are intent on "curing"
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe slightly puzzling without the attributions?  Here they are:

(01-06-2019, 09:58 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-06-2019, 05:40 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I'll just say it.

SoClean is a placebo to offset manifestation of hypochondria and has nothing to do with sleep apnea, related conditions, or equipment.

This! I would just add, that the company marketing SoClean is instilling hypochondria through its advertising.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need best way to secure my hose/tube sleepingbetterinFl 2 108 04-21-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 227 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 383 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 205 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 190 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 602 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 1,036 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.