Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Awoken by air flow?
Awoken by air flow?
Greetings everyone. First of all, thanks for this forum as it has provided invaluable information that not even the Dr. has been able to do. As many here, my machine was set wide open.

Here's my charts for last night. To my untrained eyes I would say they look ok but the problem I'm having is that I keep being awaken by the air flow.

What I think is happening is that at some point the mask seal breaks and the machine keeps raising flow to compensate. Is that a thing? All I know is that I keep being woken up by the machine trying to shove all that air in my face and the sound of air escaping the mask which I think is the worst since any small noise can disrupt my sleep pretty easily.

Let me know if the attached charts are enough and if you have any question.

Again, thanks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Awoken by air flow?
Looks like you're using the F20 mask. I'll suggest you look into the new Airfit F40 mask which is getting very good reviews, or if you have never tried a nasal pillows mask and think you can control air from your mouth, try the P10 nasal pillows. Meanwhile, we can really help you to avoid that huge pressure fluctuation by narrowing your pressure range, and implementing EPR to take down the incredible 0.2 flow limitations. The reason you're getting so much airflow is a combination of leaks and relatively high pressure. Your median pressure is nearly 11.0, but I bet if you follow some simple changes to your settings that will go way down, and you won't see the nearly 16 cm pressure at 99.5 percentile. Here are my recommendations:
Mode: Autoset Standard
Minimum Pressure: 8.0
Maximum Pressure: 12.0
EPR: On Full-Time
EPR setting: 3

If you don't know how to access clinical settings, read this quick tutorial https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsen...setup-info
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great
 Thanks for your time.

I changed the settings as suggested and will report tomorrow.

Will also look into the other mask you mention. 

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's last night.
One thing I noticed was the difference of pressure when exhaling vs inhaling makes the mask "move".

It's like when inhaling the mask lifts from my face then when exhaling it "sinks" into it.. kind of hard to explain the feeling.

Maybe I just need to adjust it tighter?
I did lower the EPR to 2 instead of the suggested 3 and it still did it but less noticeably.

Here are the charts for last night.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it dropped flow limits from 0.19 to 0.04, and that's an improvement you can really feel, and was probably greater with EPR 3. Fewer arousals, fewer respiratory events, more comfort, so now the mask. Easy, ask for the F40. It just came out and solves the puffing you feel with the F20, and gets that thing off the bridge of your nose.
'
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahh yes.. the bridge thing. It's something I was forcing myself to accept. I also have an F&P but feels more claustrophobic than the Reamed.

I'll ask my DME if they have F40s available to try. I'll switch to EPR 3 again when I do.

Thanks for all your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's my last 2 nights using the F40 mask.
The mask is way more comfortable than the F20 I was using.

Post Reply Post Reply
Read about positional apnea. You have long periods of good quiet therapy interrupted at times by clusters of OA. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll look into it.
My wife is just glad I'm not snoring ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Flow limitations and minor breathing changes kevinonasv 7 255 07-24-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Shouldn't flow limit always precede OA events? NoddingHacker 2 503 07-24-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Pablomc
  Help with diagnosing flow rate Babshill 4 135 07-24-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question [Equipment] New here! Need help with flow limits and dialing in settings! JustG 6 280 07-18-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: JustG
  Oscar Data. No events flagged but weird flow rate pattern during REM Ynot 117 4,670 07-17-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  199 Flow Limitations please help LeoCadeau 3 277 07-04-2024, 05:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Why does my flow rate line thickness vary? DougalMcGuire 2 210 07-04-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.