Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane
Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane
Hi all, I will be flying to Hawaii in August and will be doing 7 nights of car camping. I need to come up with a battery solution to power my CPAP for a full night at a time (I will have access to electrical outlet charging during the day, but not at night). I have read a number of the battery posts on Apnea Board, but I haven't found anything that really fits my criteria. To be specific, I'm up against several constraints:

1) Turning off the humidifier is not an option for me, since I have chronic sinus issues. My resmed 11 pulls ~5A / 55-65W. My preferred mask (f30i) doesn't work with humidity / moisture exchangers (HMEs).
2) Airline regulations only allow <160Wh batteries on an airplane. I can bring up to 4 of those batteries, between me + my gf.
3) I would like to get 8 hours of CPAP use.

I currently own a Flashfish 151Wh portable power station and a "Resmed 11 DC Adapter 65W 12V to 24V Car DC Converter". (Sorry, the message board won't let me post links.) It runs my CPAP for about 2 hours.

My question is, is there a way to efficiently daisy-chain four 151Wh power stations together to combine to 8 hours of CPAP power? I can plug each battery into the next one, but I imagine that will be catastrophically inefficient and get nowhere close to 8 hours.

Barring that, do folks have any other ideas? I suppose I can buy a deep cycle marine battery on-island and discard it after a week, but that seems quite wasteful.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane
Hello. I also have a resmed airsense 11 and am looking into battery solutions. I am wondering what you ended up deciding to go with? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane
I ended up buying four 12ah LiFePO4 batteries and wiring them together in parallel. The batteries + 10 amp charger + adapters + wiring ended up being like $280 all in. More expensive than ideal, but I now have a one-size-fits-all solution that I can take on planes. Assembling it was less of an ordeal than I expected. I could have gotten by with 3 batteries, but opted for four to get an abundant margin of safety. Economizing a bit on humidification, I can make it last two full nights.

I returned the Flashfish -- it ended up having far less power than advertised.

Here are the search terms for the items I bought, mostly off of Amazon:
  • 4x Redodo 12V 12Ah LiFePO4 Battery (4x $50)
  • Resmed 11 DC Adapter 65W 12V to 24V Car DC Converter ($38, ugh, also one might be able to avoid this by connecting the batteries in series-parallel -- I didn't, mostly out of a fear of electrocuting myself)
  • 10-Amp Battery Charger, 12V/10A 24V/5A Smart Automatic Maintainer Trickle Charger with Temperature Compensation for Car Motorcycle Lawn Mower Lear-Acid AGM LiFePO4 Battery ($20)
  • Female Cigarette Lighter Socket, Y Type Terminal Plug Adapter with Heavy Duty Extension Cable 10A Fuse 12/24V 16AWG Cord 1.6FT(2 Pack) ($8)
  • smseace 30PCS Piggyback Spade Terminal 12-10AWG Yellow Terminals Semi-Insulated Piggy Back Spade Crimp Wire Terminal Quick Connector PBDD-Y ($8)
  • 6 feet of 10-AWG Stranded Copper THHN Wire (from Lowes, $4)
I borrowed a friend's wire crimper to attach the wires to the Y terminals.

Main downside is that it 100% looks like I'm carrying around an IED (see picture). Happy to answer more questions, just let me know.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 9 273 04-24-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Tmjidaho
  [Equipment] BEFORE YOU BUY A MEDISTROM BATTERY srlevine1 0 189 04-24-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 5 2,000 04-02-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 363 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 225 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 54 4,930 04-01-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Charliejoe
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,147 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.