Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Can a chin strap increase your AHI?
Question 
Can a chin strap increase your AHI?
Hi there. 

My normal readings are between 1-5. My leakage though was in the 60-80 range, A big leak I know. It was suggested to try a chin strap (Chin Strap for CPAP Users, Adjustable and Breathable Chin Strap for Snoring, Anti Snore Chin Strap, Chin Straps to Keep Mouth Closed while Sleeping for Women and Men (Black)) I am not sure if you allow links, so that's the exact title to the amazon item. It came in last night, and I tried it out for the first time. 

When I woke this morning, my AHI went up to 8.3. I felt less rested, but my anxiety over the issue plus having some Hypnic Jerks(I guess its called that?) the past few nights may be the reason for being tired. (I am on Anxiety meds). Im confused as to why my AHI jumped so significantly and if it is something I should be worried about. My leaks started a few months back, but before that it was still high in the 40-50's. 

The whole thing has me spinning a bit and im probably just being a worry wort (I hope) . I have attached my data, but it didnt include October for some reason, so I added those in as well. 

Thank you for looking into this for me if you can. I know I am all over the place and I apologies for that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   myAir-Coby Aufenkamp.pdf (Size: 77.48 KB / Downloads: 3)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can a chin strap increase your AHI?
I sorry but those charts do not help. We need a daily chart with the charts listed in my signature.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2023, 09:34 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I sorry but those charts do not help. We need a daily chart with the charts listed in my signature.

So I need to purchase an SD card for my machine in order to use Oscar to get help or something? 

That sucks, Im flat broke haha. 

Thanks anyways I guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are around 10$ on Amazon. I’m sure they are that cheep at Walmart or target. 2gb no bigger than 32gb
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Careful with chin straps, many pull back, not up on your chin and that can cause issues including positional apnea. Try a soft cervical collar as that will push up, not back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 85 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 167 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,896 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,667 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 306 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Daveman
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 256 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 691 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.