Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Exhausted newbie, good stats (?) but more tired
Exhausted newbie, good stats (?) but more tired

Hi!  I was diagnosed with OSA on 8/2/23--I had two different anesthesiologists suggest I might have OSA, one in 2020, one in 2022, but other that occasional quiet snoring, never really had any symptoms.  Had exhaustion and frequent night waking recently, but I have a toddler, and the round robin of post-covid upper respiratory infections.

I am also pregnant (17 wks), and was recently diagnosed with post-viral/nighttime asthma.  That diagnosis came 2-3 months before the OSA one, and may be completely new.  (I get wheezy at night, doesn't really bother me, not using inhalers unless absolutely needed at OB's advice.)

I have been using my CPAP, but I still feel like I am waking up a ton, and I am EXHAUSTED.  Even when I sleep 10+ hours, which is really not a thing I do, even pregnant.  I feel more tired since starting CPAP.  Have been trying to get a good pulseox (Circul and Wellue unfortunately did not work for me), and have been playing  around with sleep trackers, many of which suggest I am getting less than 10% deep sleep a night, and sometimes roughly only 10% REM, although some nights closer to 20%.  (I know that stuff isn't reliable/reliable, but trying to figure things out.)  

They are bringing me back for an in-lab sleep study, to see if they can figure out why my data (on their end, AirView) looks so good, but I feel so poorly.  In the meantime, would love any and all thoughts.  Here are my OSCAR charts from last night.

Thanks!

-mpr
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Exhausted newbie, good stats (?) but more tired
Not a sleep expert but from personal experience I also felt more tired after starting treatment, but the headaches were gone. After a couple months the sleep began being refreshing again. I attributed it to my body not knowing what to do with a good nights sleep and it was adjusting to the fact I really didn't need to wake up every other minute to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wanted to add for context--I'm also waking up like roughly once an hour and don't know why.
Post Reply Post Reply
Waking up is possibly due to flow limits. You did not include the chat so I’m taking an educated guess. Flow limits are apnea the same as Oa and H events but are not counted in the AHI. You can see how apnea is determined in my signature.

To help with flow limits I would suggest you try these settings.

Min 7
EPR set to FULL TIME 3

Also to make it easier to see everything on your graphs - turn off calendar - pie chart and use F12 button for a screenshot.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits are on my second chart.  I don't think I can do the screen cap thing because I'm on a mac.  Thanks so much!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd bet being pregnant doesn't help any. I have arthritis, just had a double neck fusion and scheduled for lumbar surgery in 2 weeks. Pain wakes me up every 20 minutes,fully awake, so, I'm betting I never get into REM sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything in OSCAR 1.5.0  works just fine on my imac...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is my sleep data good? phoen1kx 3 114 2 minutes ago
Last Post: phoen1kx
  I was doing good progress but suddenly can't take it anymore Elijah1220 5 256 Yesterday, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie Richg44006 17 7,047 04-25-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: jean23
  Resmed Mini good - Resmed 11 not good r2davis3 2 143 04-23-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 86 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Is my 95% pressure stat good or...? Hone 7 251 04-20-2024, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 136 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.