Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New: I’m struggling very badly
Sad 
New: I’m struggling very badly
The folks over on Reddit suggested this forum. 

I got my CPAP machine two weeks ago. I started with the nasal pillow mask and had two OK nights but the third night was a disaster. I switched to the full face mask, had two OK nights and the third night was horrible. 

The problem I’m having with both types of masks is air filling up my mouth and then feeling the sensation that I must blow it out, which wakes me up. I do not think mouth taping would help, I am not a mouth breather. I’d end up choking on the air that is backing up in my mouth.

It’s almost like the air is coming into my nose too quickly, it collects in my mouth and must escape. I’ve also been waking up feeling and looking bloated.

I’ve increased the ramp time to 30 minutes and turned the pressure down to as low as the machine will allow which is 4. The original range was 4-20. I’ve turned it down to 4-5 I am still struggling. I realize having it this low is probably not healthy.

I have a telehealth visit coming up with the respiratory therapist from the DME provider, but I’m wondering if I should see a doctor independently from the DME provider. I am not that confident in the advice of the DME provider. I'm wondering if their is any benefit to try to see a sleep doctor? The Apnea was diagnosed with a home sleep study and the AHI was 26.

I know it’s only been two weeks but I’ve had so many bad nights, I’ve given up most nights.

I can’t have two months of this “adjustment” where I am barely sleeping. It's impacting my blood pressure.

My boyfriend has had sleep apnea for many years so I have some support at home but he had a very easy time adjusting, so hasn't been much help. 

I appreciate this forum being available for support.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New: I’m struggling very badly
Hey Muhlyssa

Very sorry to hear about your suffering, if its any comfort, we have all had the same frustrations too. The good news is that you're in the right place.

I suspect the issue might be pressure settings, but its very hard to tell without data.

I really recommend using OSCAR so members can fully assess how you are reacting to treatment. 

The software can be downloaded from here: https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

You will need a PC / Mac and an SDCard reader (normally just a few bucks on amazon / ebay etc).

Once you have oscar results for one night format them like this: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

And then attached them to this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

It might seem like a lot to do, but it will give other users the chance to perhaps pinpoint your problem and guide you to setting up the machine in a manner that works best for you.

Any help you need, please do post!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I have ResMed AirSense 11. I was under the impression it does not have an SD card slot, but I have not investigated fully.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2023, 09:47 AM)Muhlyssa Wrote: Thank you. I have ResMed AirSense 11. I was under the impression it does not have an SD card slot, but I have not investigated fully.

100% it does and it supports OSCAR.

The SD Card is on the left of machine towards the front. You push lightly on it, and it will eject.

[Image: ResMed-card.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I stand very corrected. There is an SD card slot in my machine. I will investigate fully later and purchase a reader as suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
Muhlyssa, the "chipmunk cheek" problem really interferes with good sleep, as I know from experience. I managed to eliminate it completely by following these steps.

First put the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth. Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate. Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction. You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose. Practice this frequently during the day. Once you get it grooved in deeply enough, it will help while you are asleep at night.

Be patient with this process; it may take a few weeks of diligent daytime effort before you lick the night-time problem.

But please do go ahead and post Oscar charts, which might help people gain further insight into your PAP therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
You won't want to hear it, but tape the mouth and use the nasal mask religiously each night for now.

You will want EPR enabled fulltime and on 3. This will help you so much with this problem and may be the only thing stopping you from comfortable therapy.

Try settings minimum 7cm, maximum 10cm for now. Trust me! The EPR will put your exhale at 4cm pressure and you'll be a lot more comfortable, and the machine will be able to deal with your obstructions/events. You'll be able to push that air out much easier with the EPR enabled.

Your brain will learn to keep your mouth closed over the next few months.

Please be aware.. if pressure isn't allowed to go high enough then your brain will demand your mouth opens to try and breath because you'll be having apneas, and your cheeks will puff, you'll wake up.. and you'll be miserable and give up on CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, are you suggesting the mouth taping and the nasal pillow mask? Also, I can't seem to make the starting number any higher than 4. Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
Scratch that. Figured out how to change the range.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope I've done this correctly. Thank you for taking a look.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still struggling with my Dreamstation 1 DianaJune 5 157 07-19-2024, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  [Treatment] Struggling - any ideas what I am doing wrong davell 7 258 07-16-2024, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  SleepHQ data for someone struggling with CPAP therhile 10 257 07-13-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question Struggling with CPAP for months. Please help! auri27 8 262 07-08-2024, 08:57 PM
Last Post: auri27
  Here are my results, struggling for 10+ years. UARS? Air007 7 421 06-26-2024, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Treatment] Struggling with treatment, looking for advice dkmk 2 231 06-08-2024, 10:12 PM
Last Post: dkmk
  Struggling please help ttrani01 3 200 06-02-2024, 07:58 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.