Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New: I’m struggling very badly
RE: New: I’m struggling very badly
I'd suggest you turn off the ramp feature, which is preventing you from having the full benefits of EPR during the ramp period. Did the new settings make any difference to your chipmunk cheeks?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2023, 12:01 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I'd suggest you turn off the ramp feature, which is preventing you from having the full benefits of EPR during the ramp period.  Did the new settings make any difference to your chipmunk cheeks?

Yes, the new settings did help with the excessive air in my mouth, but I do not think I fell asleep for the 3+ hours I had the machine on. I will try turning off the ramp. I do feel like I'm making some progress but it's slow going.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a sense of what prevented you from falling asleep? Is that a common problem for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking it's the mask. This is the full face mask and I could feel air blowing into my eye even though my seal was good. I am also not a great sleeper and this whole thing is causing me major anxiety.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2023, 12:28 PM)Muhlyssa Wrote: I'm thinking it's the mask. This is the full face mask and I could feel air blowing into my eye even though my seal was good. I am also not a great sleeper and this whole thing is causing me major anxiety.

Could be air from the vents redirecting off your pillow, duvet, hand/arm or whatever - place your hand over the air vent and follow the air path it's taking, then try to avoid anything being in the way of it. Sometimes hanging slightly off your pillow, or placing your head further down the pillow may help this, if that's the reason you're feeling the air in your eyes anyway. If it's a mask leak, adjustments, mask liners (google cpap mask liners) or a nasal mask with tape may be in order. 

One thing I will say is, once you're used to CPAP and you're feeling the benefit each day, you'll struggle to sleep without it. It's very familiar, the drone of the air/mask, your brain will learn it's sleep time. It just takes some time, and having good therapy that you're confident and happy with will help with that.

Uncontrolled sleep apnea is no joke, even mild - especially if it's effecting REM - will send you to an early grave with all sorts of implications from obesity, diabetes, dementia, cognitive and cardiovascular effects, high blood pressure.. it will take time but it will slowly and accumulatively  destroy your health, life and happiness.

Once you're happy with how things are progressing you'll feel differently about it all I can guarantee you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm here with an update and to thank those who chimed in. @Apnea23 @Dormeo @stanleyjack

The RT suggested I switch to the medium size of the full face mask. I recently took my machine on vacation to Hawaii and had really good nights with my CPAP machine and mask combo. The main difference was the hotel had really flat pillows (and probably just generally being relaxed and on vacation, plus getting more exercise than normal). 

When I got home, I switched to a flat pillow and have had some really good nights. I think I'm on my way. It has taken about two months, three different masks and two follow-up appointments with the Respiratory Therapist. 

I don't love my machine but I don't hate it either. Because I wasn't snoring or having daytime sleepiness prior to my diagnosis, I'm not seeing a huge difference in my quality of sleep but I know ultimately I'm doing what I need to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, the Hawaiian vacation solution!

So glad to hear you're on the path to easy and effective PAP use. You're right, it's what you need to do to stay healthy over the long run.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right? I mean Hawaii vacations solve many problems!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I have been on an APA for six weeks. I had the same problems with air filling my mouth and my checks then popping out my mouth, and waking me up. I am not a mouth breather, but in desperation, I started to tape my mouth, and it worked for me. It keeps my tongue up on the roof of my mouth. I use it for both FFM and NM.  The chin strap did not help. I also wear a soft neck collar.

I hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need sleep badly! Any help with OSCAR is appreciated Quitethe1 75 1,705 47 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 74 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 271 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 223 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 197 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  [Treatment] Struggling to reduce Clear Airway events codebread 6 908 02-23-2024, 09:15 PM
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.