Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Newbie help needed
Surprised 
Newbie help needed
Hey, guys.  Been lurking here for a while and decided to go ahead and create an account in hopes to get some advice and general support.  

A brief history; this is my third time attempting to get on CPAP, and so far the most successful.  I've been to sleep doctors before through the years and outside of confirming what I already new and selling me some overpriced gear, they seemed generally worthless.  This time I've decided to go it alone.

I've already overcome some hurtles and am for the first time am actually able to get through a full night while keeping the cpap on.  I've been running fairly low pressure (5-9), and the machine tells me my AHI averages about 0.5 when side-sleeping.  I've been maintaining this for about 2 weeks now.

This all sounds great, but honestly I haven't really noticed the benefits.  I've heard a lot from others that getting on CPAP was a life-alteringly positive change for them, but I'm just not feeling it.  This has inspired me to take a deeper dive and start using the Oscar software, which is where I could really use some help.

One of the big things that jumps out at me as I'm learning about this stuff is that my average tidal volume is quite low (380), despite only having a few recorded events.  I'm not sure what to make of that.  Hoping someone a bit more knowledgeable about this stuff can chime in.  When I do have events, the pressure maxes out at 9, which makes me feel like maybe I should be upping the pressure in general.  Thoughts/Advice appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie help needed
Welcome to the forum. One thing that sets AB apart from most of the rest of the net is that we want to see the data. See the organize data link in my signature below, use F12 to take a screenshot of the daily OSCAR charts and attach them to your post, while you cannot link them you can attach them. That will give us enough data to get started. Because you have a tidal volume question provide an advanced chart as well (View/ reset graphics/ Advanced) and provide your sex, height and weight since these are used to determine norms.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add that most here consider 5cmw to be t{ low for most people and if you need aax of 9 something else is likely wrong with your settings, but there are exceptions
Post Reply Post Reply
Gotcha.  I'm a male, 5'9", 190 lbs.  Screenshots attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Quick question; Is there a reason that you only zoomed in on a partial day's data and not display the complete day?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-14-2023, 01:36 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Quick question; Is there a reason that you only zoomed in on a partial day's data and not display the complete day?

- Red

I had been playing around with the machine while trying to take nap the following morning and didn't want that to skew the numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at the lower left and you will see the different sessions. You can deselect the one or ones you wish to exclude.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed S9 AutoSet - Extreme Newbie Richg44006 17 7,043 04-25-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: jean23
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 203 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 235 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 442 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 138 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 232 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 220 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.