Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Self-Titration new user help
Self-Titration new user help
Hi. So, after 6 years of trying to get a Dr to take me seriously while my health circled the drain I just purchased a CPAP (Resmed Airsense 10 For Her pre-owned, full mask F20, Climate air line). I am 100% sure I do have sleep apnea as my partner observes me gasping, choking and struggling to breathe all night and has shown me a lot of videos of it- my Dad also has apnea and I know well what it looks like, CPAP was life-changing for him. Anyway, justification for self-treatment aside, first three nights seemed to go well, MyAir and Oscar showing a low API (about 2.5) and good mask fit and all that, and day three was wonderful, I went out in the afternoon and was not exhausted when I got home, even felt up to a long walk in the evening, brain fog massively reduced- huge win! 

But last night my scores went up to 4.75 (Oscar) or about 5 (Myair). I am not feeling great this morning either- probably didn't get enough sleep but also just, feeling grotty generally as normal. I get that it can vary but the thing worrying me is when I woke up the machine was allegedly on 15ish- usually when it's that high and I wake I feel a bit overwhelmed and take the mask off very quickly but this felt like it does on 4- very light air flow, can hardly feel it. I wonder if the pressure sensor is acting up? Can someone please take a look at the graph and tell me if anything jumps out as odd or did I just have a bad night positionally? Do I need to mess with settings to get that score down? I am really new to CPAP and even newer to OSCAR and I do not know what I am looking for. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Self-Titration new user help
Welcome

Your airway was partially obstructed for most of the night look at the Flow limit graph. your maximum pressure is already high and the machine isn't using all of it so i would suggest turning on EPR. and raising the min pressure to 8. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...lief_(EPR) it should help reduce the flow limits.

EPR on 2 (to start with then you can try 3 if you want)
EPR full time
min pressure 8
max pressure 15
Response standard

You may be having some positional apnea also since you had at least a few clusters (around 3:40 and 5:40), maybe you kink your airway when you sleep? or sleep on your back ? https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

If you want to learn more about the FL graph Oscar The Guide - Flow Limit
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! 

I have made the adjustments you suggested (though I couldn't find 'response standard', is that important? 

Also read the links you put in your post, thank you, super helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about that i guess it's not available on the airsense 10 just had a look at the manual. Should be perfectly fine.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The standard response is only available in the CPAP (static pressure) mode.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2024, 04:06 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The standard response is only available in the CPAP (static pressure) mode.
- Red

You sure? Big Grin According to the manual it's only available in APAP mode for the AirSense 11 (and not on the for her). and it's not there at all on the 10.

there are no pressure rises in cpap mode it wouldn't really make sense as an option?
Post Reply Post Reply
Again, this could be in the difference between the North American and the European models.  I know that the European AirCurve 10 VAuto is missing several options that we have at our disposal.

Also, are you looking in the Clinician manual? That is where it is set.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2024, 04:19 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Again, this could be in the difference between the North American and the European models.  I know that the European AirCurve 10 VAuto is missing several options that we have at our disposal.

Quite possibly yeah. for one i don't have any of the updates and still use the 2y old firmware that was initially shipped with the machines. not quite sure who is blocking the updates since mine is a loaner.
Post Reply Post Reply

Ok so, API down (I didn't sleep long enough seems better) but my flow rate still looks dodgy I think- if you have time could you confirm if the settings change looks like it helped at all or I need to adjust more? I think it looks loke most of the actual apnea events were positional last night- does that look like a correct assumption?
Post Reply Post Reply
Settings look fine, and i agree with you it was probably mostly positional. and that's still an awful lot of flow limits. You sleep on your back maybe or on your side?

How did EPR feel? Easier to Exhale? I find it much more comfortable anyways. You can try 3 once you're used to it, it might help the FLs.

Your machine reached 15cm 3-4x at least and spent awhile there at 8am so i think you can try raising the max pressure slowly, .6 or 1 at a time. see how it feels. You said the high pressures bothered you but hopefully EPR helped with that. Personally it just takes 2-3 days to get used to the new pressure.

I would change one thing at a time and raise the pressure slowly so you can see if anything helps. but if it's positional no pressure will help you need to try to change position or get a collar maybe. Maybe post one screenshot of a zoomed in (2-3mins) normal breathing pattern (outside of apnea events) just to make sure nothing else is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UARS BiPAP Titration help Gettingbetter33 4 371 06-10-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Gettingbetter33
  Please help with BiPAP self titration for possible UARS uarsapnea90 0 135 05-28-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: uarsapnea90
  New to OSCAR: Help with Titration hunterdebo 6 289 05-24-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Hitting the wall with self-titration sleeper ton 10 385 05-23-2024, 05:28 PM
Last Post: sleeper ton
  Bi-Level Titration Help Norman2195 4 283 05-18-2024, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Norman2195
  New user - help with titration empiricismandstatistics 1 195 05-16-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,434 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.