Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Something's gone wrong.
Something's gone wrong.
I’ve been using CPAP since January, averaging 8.5 hours per night with no issues; quickly becoming so inured to the thing that at times I’ve forgotten that I have it on. I started feeling better almost immediately, and have gotten progressively better over time; my AHI's finally decreased below 5, and I look forward to sleeping with it.
In the past few days I’ve been awakening with air hunger and deep labored respiration, compelling me to breathe through my mouth, panting until I’ve caught my breath. The past couple of nights I’ve been able to resume therapy once I’ve relaxed and my breathing has returned to normal, but tonight I awoke after only an hour and a half, and just can’t breathe through the thing; after a few minutes my respirations become progressively labored, long and deep, as if I’m trying to breathe through a coffee stirrer, and I feel like I’m suffocating; yet if I pull off the mask, the thing's blowing a gale.
Everything’s clean, new filter 9 days ago, pressure unchanged at 10 cm H2O; nothing at all appears to be wrong with the set.
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
RE: Something's gone wrong.
I notice that you are using the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. I use this mask too and find I have to make sure the mask vents on the front of the mask are clear by scrubbing them gently with a toothbrush and whatever cleaning you use to wash your mask with. I use ordinary liquid hand wash and water and find this effective.

Hope this helps Shy
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Emmet, have you had a chance to download SleepyHead (link at the top of every page) install it and then using the SD card from your machine, load your nightly data into it? You will get advice from experienced users if you post screenshots of your data in SleepyHead. Here's lots of information about SleepyHead including how to post screenshots:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Best of luck!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem when I first started using the P10. It turned out the mask vents were being blocked by moisture due to minor rainout. The moisture would evaporate a short time after I took the mask off. A combination of a heated hose and a hose cover resolved the problem.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks; I use a heated hose and hose cover, and just soaked the mask in vinegar and scrubbed the exhaust ports with a toothbrush yesterday.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best next move is to follow cate1898's advice to download Sleepyhead and post the data, this will give experienced users on here the best opportunity to advise you.

Best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Try replacing the machine filter and see if that helps.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Just for information purposes I did not think you should use a hose cover with a heated hose.  Spoke to secondwindcpap and 1800 cpap and both didn’t recommend it.  They said the hose covers were for non heated hoses only.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used hose covers with the heated hoses forever. I even had a heated hose before Resmed and Philips caught on and started selling them. I have never had a problem with covering a heated hose, and it seems to have the advantages of protecting the hose, making it quieter, more comfortable and more efficient.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Emmet,
Try using one size larger nasal pillow. It shouldn’t be inserted into nostril too much, but mostly rest below nostril. A larger size may help.

It would help us if you would post a screenshot or two of your daily page from #SleepyHead.

Use the links in my signature line to guide you.

Also, to echo SleepRider....I have been using a hose cover with my heated hose for over 3 years.
No problems at all.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whats wrong with mouth breathing? johnathanb76 5 140 18 minutes ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I Think Im Doing This All Wrong DudleyDoRight 9 256 04-22-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 167 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 582 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,580 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 345 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 513 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.