Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] mask leak
mask leak
 I do not know how to post a question on the Board Page, so I will ask how and ask another question. On my resmed apnea nightly data it gives me mask leak rating. Today it was leaks during 8 hrs. What determines a leak? Is it how long my mouth is open or it leaks for a time period on my nose (nasal mask)? In other words, how long does it take for the machine to determine if it is a leak or not? i sec, 5 sec, 60secs? If I talk with my mask on is that enough for the machine to say it is a leak?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: mask leak
Hi fred vanderburg!  -  Welcome
A Resmed defines a leak as a flow rate that, after subtracting the mask intentional leak, exceeds 24 liters a minute.  Unlike apnea events, there isn't any elapsed time limit.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Red gave you the answer you asked about, now a suggestion.  Use OSCAR it is totally free to download and use. It is what we use her to help. You will need a SP (32 GB or less) in the machine while you sleep. 

From it you can see all leaks and we can tell if they are mouth or mask.  We can also help you with settings of your Cpap.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacey - Unfortunately, OSCAR will not read a Resmed S8 series CPAP.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Sudden Unexplained Increase in Leak Rate lygodia 9 386 07-22-2024, 08:45 PM
Last Post: lygodia
  Z2 increases pressure on leak; ResMed 11 doesn't SkySleep 7 207 07-13-2024, 11:52 PM
Last Post: SkySleep
  Flex Setting Adjustment and Leak Rate grzkar 1 150 07-13-2024, 10:54 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Leak Help for my MIL papercupprincess 6 285 07-12-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  Everything's Great Except My Leak Rate! Well Marbled 1 6 247 07-09-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Well Marbled 1
Thumbsdown Annoying air venting (not mask leak) from F20 air touch Little Olive 6 348 07-03-2024, 04:12 AM
Last Post: Little Olive
  Large leak rate, what am I doing wrong? Jspiv 6 292 07-02-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.