Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can someone help me with these flow rates?
RE: Can someone help me with these flow rates?
I agree with ajack that the events became clearly obstructive at lower pressure and higher minimum pressure is going to be needed.  There is some pronounced flow limitation in these charts, and that can be very disruptive.  Your pressure is at 10.8 /8.93 during this sequence. The inhales all start off good and drop quickly to near-zero. This is making your inspiratory time much longer than expiratory time, and more importantly, you are WORKING hard to inhale, which causes all kinds of stress.  

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4518]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies ajack and sleeprider really appreciate it!

So for now I will increase the pressure per 1cm at a night( I am used to pressures ranged 9-12) until the apneas are gone and I am just dealing with the flow limitation. 

One thing I really do not understand still... is the morphoogy of my flow limitation. I get that it is really disruptive and most likely the reason I am so tired but it seems that almost every night I have it and the shape's are so incoherent and chaotic that I just can't make sense of it. More importantly how do we tackle it? Just like we are eliminating the apnea/hypoapnea's, so by increasing pressure?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to leave this until later, but the best solution for flow limitation like yours is BiPAP. Your OA is reasonably controlled at 9-10 cm, but to kill hypopnea and flow limits, you leave the EPAP here and add pressure support. That propels your inspiration to the peak, then lets you exhale. With CPAP, you only get one tool, pressure. With BiPAP, or even the Resmed Airsense 10 you get two pressures. If you optimize your CPAP to deal with the hypopnea and flow limits, then find the pressure "uncomfortable or intolerable", that is the criteria for medical approval of bilevel under most insurance policies.

BTW, I don't see a line for CA in the chart above. Make sure the event flags are selected in the pull-down located at the bottom-left of the detail charts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice.

Does C-flex not have the same function as EPR that the Airsense has? Thats what you mean right? I can feel the epap is lower when I exhale then the inhale. However if I would go to higher pressures it can be difficult to breath out
Post Reply Post Reply
you will get use to the high pressure, I bounced around 20 when I was on cpap. it won't be long before you are waking up, wondering if the machine is still on.
you also don't try to breathe out, you just let it happen, you really are getting enough air. your lungs don't completely empty with cpap, it is one of the reasons they use it in some cases.

this video will help you get your head around flow limits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go with a aflex on setting 3 in your case to see if it helps matters a bit. It drops exhale pressure by upto 2cm. This will allow you as much latitude as possible with your machine. This is roughly equivalent to a bilevel with pressure support of 2.

The Airsense 10 can provide a pressure support of 3cm with epr setting of 3.

A bilevel from either of these vendors can provide much higher levels of pressure support. And as sleep rider has said, you would need PS to smoothen your waveforms. We just don’t know how much PS.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ajack - Alright 20 sounds pretty high to get used too ! but I am already getting used to 14ish so guess it is possible ! 

What do you mean with :

Quote:"you also don't try to breathe out, you just let it happen, you really are getting enough air. your lungs don't completely empty with cpap, it is one of the reasons they use it in some cases."

This is actually something I am really worried about. I also have shortness of breath during the day and have breath very loudly and have a exhale almost like a sigh. Went to the pulmnologist and he said my lungs were all fine checked for astmha, allergies and hyperventilation test. I thought maybe because I am so short of breath during the day I am also breathing like that during the night and maybe it mimics apnea or something i dont know  Dont-know

AshSF 

Thanks for the advice, its clear for me now that it functions as some sort of pressure support. For know I will try to adjust the pressures with the dreamstation and post my results here. Hopefully it will soothen the respiratory limitations and if not then next step would be BIPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm in the Bipap camp here. If you have trouble breathing the Bipap will make it easier to exhale due to the ability to increase the pressure support. I think what ajack meant was you never completely empty your lungs. Everyone always has some air that remains in your lungs even without CPAP. When you exhale with CPAP the pressure is equalized so though it might not feel like it, air is coming out of your lungs. With BiPap the larger change of pressure assists your lungs to get more air out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2018, 08:39 PM)ajack Wrote: you will get use to the high pressure, I bounced around 20 when I was on cpap. it won't be long before you are waking up, wondering if the machine is still on.
you also don't try to breathe out, you just let it happen, you really are getting enough air. your lungs don't completely empty with cpap, it is one of the reasons they use it in some cases.

this video will help you get your head around flow limits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

The part in bold is very true.  When starting out on my machine, there were at least two nights i woke up, didn't realize i was adapted to the pressure, and turned OFF my machine thinking it had failed (then it felt like a vacuum ironically). Now if i wake up enough to wonder, i just remind myself of how hard it is to breath with the machine off, and that if i feel ok, it is on and its just me..
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the replies and insights ! 

These are my results from yesterday, As you can see the AHI is controlled but I keep having these wave forms which I assume are flow limitations. Most importantly, I feel like crap still. should I bump up the pressure to 14-15?

If you need anymore info please let me know as I am very determined to make this work.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate on Oscar shows no data for my minute and a half at a time Sleepwarrior12345 2 38 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleepwarrior12345
  Low AHI vs. low Flow Limitation apneakid 15 1,052 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Rate Forms erolalper 2 81 Yesterday, 09:36 AM
Last Post: erolalper
  Flow Rate and Flow Limit Graphs ovmeadows 20 2,888 Yesterday, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 110 9,111 Yesterday, 07:31 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  flow limit of 1 rhishi 3 134 04-25-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: rhishi
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 11 324 04-25-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.