Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Central? Obstructive?
Central? Obstructive?

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of question over whether I have CSA or OSA. I have had several sleep studies.

I do not snore. I appear to sleep very peacefully, even when 02 is gently going up and down from 86 to 96 for a long time.

I have attached a screenshot of 02. This chart is with no machine but I do have ASV ResMed. Does central apnea 02 graph have a "look"?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central? Obstructive?
(08-30-2023, 11:35 AM)Brewtoo Wrote: There seems to be a lot of question over whether I have CSA or OSA. I have had several sleep studies.

Can you post the results of that sleep study with your name and personal info redacted?

Quote:This chart is with no machine but I do have ASV ResMed. 

Can you post OSCAR charts of a night when you did use your ASV ResMed?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Both Clear Airway Apneas (what you are calling "central") AND Obstructive apneas will impact your SpO2 levels, so it's a bit of a stretch to try to make a clear choice between the two types of apneas based on 02 levels alone.

That said, It's a bit surprising that the measured saturations vary with almost predictable frequency, at least between 5:47 and 6:23

Are you on a ASV machine and is it "machine triggering" regularly throughout that period?
Post Reply Post Reply
The variation appears odd to me. Have you validated your oximeter by testing it on a known healthy person? . . . Not saying that you're unhealthy, but testing on a person with Emphysema would be kind of pointless.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2023, 11:59 AM)dataq1 Wrote: Both Clear Airway Apneas (what you are calling "central") AND Obstructive apneas will impact your SpO2 levels, so it's a bit of a stretch to try to make a clear choice between the two types of apneas based on 02 levels alone.

That said, It's a bit surprising that the measured saturations vary with almost predictable frequency, at least between 5:47 and 6:23

Are you on a ASV machine and is it "machine triggering" regularly throughout that period?

Thanks for your kind reply. That particular chart is with no machine.

(08-30-2023, 12:05 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The variation appears odd to me.  Have you validated your oximeter by testing it on a known healthy person? . . . Not saying that you're unhealthy, but testing on a person with Emphysema would be kind of pointless.

- Red

Thanks. Yes, I have confirmed the accuracy of the oximeter. And yes it is odd. I guess that's why they've done so many sleep studies.

And it's best on my right side, worse on my left side and worst on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Are these events Central or Obstructive Apneas? vHungry 5 86 Yesterday, 02:57 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 21 879 Yesterday, 02:57 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Sudden increase in central apneas eyeloveeyez 1 81 04-25-2024, 05:09 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 398 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,758 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,663 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 170 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.