Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape
Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape
I found in some records from way back in 2006 that some folks were using various denture adhesive strips to seal their mouth closed instead of using mouth tape.  Have any of you tried this?  If so, what were your results?  

I am sick to death of trying mouth tapes; one I used for a very long time before realizing that it was not working well enough, and others that hurt like crazy to remove.   Crying-into-tissue  I tried Hypafix which worked against the leaks but was torture to remove.  Then I tried a hotshot kinesiology tape called Kinesio Tex Gold, which felt better on, but also hurt a lot when removed.  I have been searching everywhere but am totally frustrated.  I have really sensitive skin and really hate pain.   Help  

Any ideas?
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Denture Adhesive Strips v. Mouth Tape
Product information
Smith and Nephew/BSN Cover-Roll Stretch - 2" x 10 Yards - Hypoallergenic Pack of 2

Package Dimensions 7.01 x 3.86 x 2.28 inches; 6.4 Ounces
Item Weight ‎6.4 ounces
Department ‎unisex-adult
Manufacturer ‎Smith and Nephew/BSN
ASIN ‎B01F9JFBBY

Item model number SG_B01F9JFBBY_US
Post Reply Post Reply
I used Cover roll tape for a couple of years. It is rated "air permeable", so some leaks can still occur. For awhile, I got better results with a double layer of tape. Also, I used lip balm and minimized the lip exposure before putting it on. If it does stick to the lips, use the tongue to moisten it and it is easier to remove. From a male perspective, I did have to cut back on facial hair since it provided lots of little channels for air leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Deborah K.

I agree with everything enjoysleep and Rich said. Cover-Roll is the best I found out of the dozens tried. Also use a double layer frequently, use up all the stuff that's too sticky for the second layer. With no facial hair you could try a thin layer of chapstick over the tender parts of the lips for awhile, you should get good enough adhesion around the edges, chin and cheeks. peel it off slowly from the sides at a sharp angle back on its self. Lanky Lefty has a good how to on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGAHEENnatw
Post Reply Post Reply
I dog-ear one corner to make it easier to peal off
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the folded corner is essential. I forgot to address the denture strips, tried three different kinds. Yuk! Did not adhere well enough to keep lips closed and woke up with goo all over inside my mouth. The ones that don't dont stick well enough to lips, just not how they were designed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  I appreciate the advice from all three of you.  But I read the reviews online, and way too many of them said it hurt to remove, so I think I'll have to pass.  I have ultra-sensitive skin and I'm just too much of a wimp. Bag-head  

I loved the Medvance silicone tape I used for a long time.  Some nights it worked absolutely great at eliminating leaks, while other nights I showed way too much leakage.  I think I will use it again for a while until I figure something better out.  I may still try Polident Denture Adhesive Strips or some other brand.  In reviews, there were people who said it worked great for mouth-taping.  The ones who used the cream versions said it got in their mouths. eeew  I didn't hear that those who used the strips had that problem. I'd still love to hear from others who tried Denture Adhesive Strips.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried a number of different tapes.

I have to be careful. I worked for 3M in Canada for 15 years. I'm allergic to their tape with solvent based adhesive.
I reacted to some such tape during a recent hospital overnight visit.

David
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hypafix tape, same packaging as Smith and Nephew, also made by BSN, very likely the same exact tape, cheaper on Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, Yeah I know about skin problems.  I'm not actually allergic to the tapes, they just hurt a lot when I remove them.  That's why I'm looking into alternatives.

Ed, I tried Hypafix.  It stops leaks great but removal hurts the most of those I have tried, so it's not for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dry Mouth and Return of Symptoms? mcman56 3 55 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Whats wrong with mouth breathing? johnathanb76 2 112 04-27-2024, 10:48 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 140 04-24-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Novel alternative to tape? HalfAsleep 4 298 04-23-2024, 05:47 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,443 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 184 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 994 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.