Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results
Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results
Hi folks, I was originally diagnosed with sleep apnea about 5 years ago when I was 21. I would often wake up during the night, and sometimes while cathcing my breath. I would also urinate frequently, once or twice a night, and felt tired throughout the day. I was 170lb 5'9 and about 12% body fat. I am currently 180lb, at around the same body fat percentage and live a relateively active lifestyle.

After the diagnoses, which was moderate of an AHI at 15, I was put on CPAP.

I stopped using it after, but restarted, and had AHI's of < 1 while on CPAP. However, I still kept waking up nightly, usually once a night to urinate.

This is when I got the in-lab study where it showed I had 15 events the entire night, none of which were OSA. I am curious on how to interpret this data. From what I've read, CPAP isn't prescribed until 15 AHI hourly. 

One thing I noted is that I had REM for less than an hour. I also do feel better with CPAP, but it's hard to tolerate it with the noise of the machines and the masks. Anything else pop out here?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do I not need a CPAP anymore? In-Lab Study Results
You have some isolated limb movement causing arousal, count of 11 times.

While you didn't have Obstructive or Central Apnea, you had 15 Hypopnea. These Hypopnea events are roughly a half to three quarters restricted compared to full Apnea. Hypopnea still respond to CPAP therapy, but the therapy should have either something like a ResMed AutoSet with EPR on full time, or the VAuto with some pressure support.

You should consider downloading and viewing OSCAR charts. Here's the link.

Why would you want OSCAR charts? Just like you need instruments on your car, you should see data on your Apnea therapy to know how well its going. You'll again need OSCAR and an SD card in your CPAP to capture data overnight, viewing the data the next day on your computer. This SD card is standard size, between 2-32 GB capacity, formatted to FAT32.

Armed with OSCAR charts posted, we can help you tune up the CPAP to work much better than it probably is now.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
According to your sleep study, you have an AHI of 2.7.  No one usually prescribes a pap machine unless the patient has an AHI of at least 5.  I think you probably do not need to use the machine, but wait for one of the Moderators to show up before stopping in case I am wrong.  Then again, if you feel better when using it maybe you should stick with it.  It's up to you.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
my experience... my condition has improved with CPAP/BIPAP I may not "need" it but I sure do not want to go backwards. I use my equipment.

How will you know if it helps you ? Not using without some way of keeping track seems ?

Post Reply Post Reply
I missed the item AHI. 2.7 huh? Maybe you don't really need CPAP. I don't know that either way though.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, AHI 2.7 all hypopnea and RDI 8.1 which indicates some UARS but nothing too severe. If CPAP helps enough to be worth the trouble, use it. If not, you can look into some alternatives to help keep your airway open. Have you had your airway scoped? Could be something in there that's simple to clean up which may give you some years before CPAP becomes necessary. If you go that route, it's something to keep an eye on though, as it is likely to get worse as you age so it's worth revisiting every once in a while to make sure you're still all good.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest that if you keep using it, you download Oscar and post reports.  That way we can help you get your best settings in place and help with your therapy and comfort.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally giving OSCAR a shot after 4 months of CPAP with no results SleeepyPuck 9 114 8 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Surprised OSCAR Results Analysis 4thehalibit 6 174 Yesterday, 08:54 AM
Last Post: 4thehalibit
  My Oscar results jpsantell 0 59 Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Last Post: jpsantell
  New CPAP user first OSCAR data results Jhlopez 1 104 07-25-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Lofta Sleep Results - Need Advice strawhatluffy777 2 201 07-23-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: strawhatluffy777
  OSCAR results, could someone please clarify? vanillagorilla 6 250 07-22-2024, 05:50 AM
Last Post: vanillagorilla
  [Diagnosis] CPAP first week OSCAR results JamesMask 2 150 07-20-2024, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.