Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Do these waveforms represent an arousal
Do these waveforms represent an arousal
I'm wondering if these waveforms represent what the experts call 'an arousal' (or even a 'RERA')? I see this many times every night, and the key indicator of them (to me) is a spike in Pulse Rate (from my oximeter).

My breathing is fine and looks like normal sleep breathing, but then for maybe 10 seconds becomes very different....usually with slightly larger inhales and exhales but with a missing breath or two, sometimes returning to a normal sleep-breathing waveform straight away but often becoming more like awake-breathing for a while.

As you can clearly see in the image, at the same time as this sudden change to an odd pattern in Flow Rate there will usually be a brief spike in Leak Rate and in Movement (from the oximeter)....followed about 15 seconds later by a quick spike in Pulse Rate AND - sometimes - a brief blip in SpO2 (but this can go up OR down!).

I am sometimes awoken by these events, but not usually.

[Image: QOp3UTS.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do these waveforms represent an arousal
That is an arousal that came from some kind of movement. When we shift position we typically hold our breath or breathe shallow, then have a deeper recovery breath. You can see the big inhale, then long exhale, coupled with some movement.

We all do it during sleep, nothing to be concerned with unless it happens frequently.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Do these waveforms represent an arousal
(03-26-2024, 01:17 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: That is an arousal that came from some kind of movement. When we shift position we typically hold our breath or breathe shallow, then have a deeper recovery breath. You can see the big inhale, then long exhale, coupled with some movement.

Ah, thank you. So it IS an arousal but not a 'sleep apnea related arousal'. Is there a similar typical set of waveforms for the latter?

(03-26-2024, 01:17 PM)PeaceLoveAndPizza Wrote: We all do it during sleep, nothing to be concerned with unless it happens frequently.

As I said, it does seem to happen quite often - maybe 1-2 times per hour.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 612 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Arousal with no flow limits prior? Stubert 1 641 09-13-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  CA with arousal before event VS no arousal sleep2023 1 555 08-01-2023, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
Question [Treatment] Strange breathing waveforms on ASV Hrapovik 3 602 06-09-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  Help interpreting "Clear Airway" waveforms freemandyson 3 614 04-27-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  CA - Treatment Emergent or Positional arousal betterforthis 41 3,464 02-14-2022, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Need help with flow limits/understanding waveforms blancobonzo 4 921 09-06-2021, 07:17 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.