Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Earplugs for side sleepers?
Earplugs for side sleepers?
I have always been used to sleeping in a quiet room, so I find the noise from the CPAP, hose, and mask to be disturbing. If I can wear earplugs to block out the noise, I sleep better, but since I sleep on my side, they're pretty painful after a while, so I rarely wear them. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for other types of earplugs that might work well for side sleeping?

I've been using Mack's earplugs that are tapered, but I put the "big" side in my ear canal, leaving the tapered end out so that there's a smaller piece sitting in the ear. I've also had a life-long issue with ear pain when sleeping on my side anyway - my ear often "falls asleep" or is just simply painful. So I also use a thin c-shaped pillow that curves around my ear, which I put on top of whatever other pillow I'm using. That keeps my ear from pressing directly against the pillow. It helps somewhat with the earplug issue, but still the earplug often sticks out enough that it hits the pillow underneath and bothers my ear. 

I've tried the silicone ear plugs that are meant for swimming, since they're moldable and I can push them pretty flat against my ear canal. That works ok for sleeping on my side, but I hated them since they're so sticky and I'd wake up with hair smashed into them and lots of residue in my ear. 

White noise machines or music aren't the answer - I would have to have it extremely loud to drown out the CPAP noises, and the CPAP noises are pretty much white noise anyway. I really prefer silence for sleeping. 

Side note: I purchased a Knightsbridge chin strap to help with my jaw drop issue rather than wear a soft cervical collar, and it does work for that - but I can't wear it because I sleep mostly on my right side, and the cap has the thick velcro pad and straps right over the ear on that side. It's much too painful, and I definitely couldn't wear earplugs with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Earplugs for side sleepers?
I put mine in by bedside nightstand draw after sleeprider reported doing this. Just cut a hole in the back for the hose and power cord.

Sleeprider still has shag carpeting in his bedroom based on his pics, so he has a real nice setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately my nightstand isn't big enough for that, and I don't have room for a larger one or it would block the doorway to the bathroom. And in addition to the CPAP machine itself, the noise from the hose and mask are bothersome - the sound of my breathing into the mask, noise from the exhaust vents hitting my pillow or bedding, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2024, 01:19 PM)cps22 Wrote: Unfortunately my nightstand isn't big enough for that, and I don't have room for a larger one or it would block the doorway to the bathroom. And in addition to the CPAP machine itself, the noise from the hose and mask are bothersome - the sound of my breathing into the mask, noise from the exhaust vents hitting my pillow or bedding, etc.

Are you using one of those hose covers? If not , it may help a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have a hose cover, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a side sleeper, and as for earplugs I have used them for years due to insmonia and difficulty falling asleep.
I use purple ones from Walmart. They stay in very well! Not expensive and just soft enough for comfort but not too soft that they don't block noise.

SheShells23
~ Not all who wander are lost, some are just looking for the perfect seashell ~ Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2024, 01:11 PM)Nightynite Wrote: I put mine in by bedside nightstand draw after sleeprider reported doing this. Just cut a hole in the back for the hose and power cord.

Sleeprider still has shag carpeting in his bedroom based on his pics, so he has a real nice setup.

Lolabove  The photos were old, but I've never had shag carpets on the hardwood floors.  Putting the machine in a drawer works to eliminate that noise.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use Ohropax Wax Ear Plugs. These ear plugs are made from wax, not foam. Search on Amazon for this item. 

You need some experience to make them work. Initially they are somewhat hard but they will melt and take the form of you ear shell outside the ear channel. The size of the plugs is important. I use one of the plugs and cut it in half. I form each of the halves into a little "disk" and in insert them in the ear in front of the ear canal. Don't push them into your ear canal! When you insert the right size in to your ear they will form an extremely good sound barrier that does not stick outside of the ear and touch the pillow.

The Knightsbridge DUAL BAND Air Deluxe is more expensive than the original and has holes for the ears. It is very good for the management of ear plugs. I use a Vitera mask over the Dual band Air Deluxe together with the Ohropax wax ear plugs for side sleeping. This combination works very well with the right side sleeping pillow: "Pillow Cube Side Cube Pro" on Amazon (See Lankyleft review on youtube.)

I hope this will help you in your sleep and cpap journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
SheShells23, do you remember if the purple Walmart ones are the Flents Protech Quiet Time?
Post Reply Post Reply
The wax earplugs look like they work the same as the soft silicone putty ones I used (Mack's brand), and have the same issue with stickiness. My hair is long enough to get in my ears and get mashed into the plugs, but not long enough to be able to pull back out of the way.  Thinking-about

I would definitely be interested in the Knightsbridge DUAL BAND Air Deluxe - I didn't realize there was one that had ear holes (I purchased it from "Supplier 1"). But I am concerned about ordering one at this time - it appears that it is not available from the "new" website started by the original owner, but can be purchased from the allegedly hacked old site. The thread on the issue that I read previously has apparently been deleted, and I don't know how things stand right now, especially after reading the response to the takeover allegations on the other person's site. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Mask recommendation for a sensitive side-sleeper who might have an unusual face shape PersonInNY 6 222 04-24-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: PersonInNY
  Tools for "forced" side sleeping (noodles), do they work Fox66 2 113 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,144 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 537 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 378 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Side sleeper vs. Back sleeper readings Bob Cali 4 474 02-21-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  would it matter if you ran a cpap (without humidifier) on its side?on its side snorin2 8 673 11-19-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.