Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] CPAP on rails in Europe
CPAP on rails in Europe
Hello all
My wife and I are considering travelling around Europe on Interrail for a month in the near future and one of the complications we’ve found is my need for CPAP. (I currently use a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset) There are a few questions I’d like to put to the ‘collective’ to see if anyone has any ideas to mitigate the problems.
Is it worth buying a portable machine (Airmini probably) in terms of luggage weight/bulk?
If we were to travel overnight on one of the sleeper services are the on-board power supplies sufficient and reliable enough to run a CPAP safely? Or should we plan for daytime travel only?
If the Airmini is better for travel, is there a battery solution to the power reliability on trains that isn’t too heavy? The solutions I’ve seen have been geared to longer off-grid situations whereas I should be able to recharge the battery next day at a hotel/apartment etc.
Is the Airmini noise problematic? I know this is a very subjective assessment but any data is better than none (usually)
If there are any other difficulties that I’ve not considered please let me know, ideally with your devastatingly cunning solution already worked out…

Thinking-about
Regards

John

This message is a natural product and, as such may contain errors, omissions or opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP on rails in Europe
I don't know about power on the European rail, but I found this on the internet: https://www.seat61.com/sleepers.htm

[quote\Generally speaking, most sleepers & couchette cars don't have power sockets other than a simple shaver socket (which can often be used to recharge mobile phones etc., if you have a 2-pin adapter. I wouldn't recommend relying on a shaver socket to work a sleep apnoea machine, though). But Austrian Nightjet Comfortline sleeping-cars are a key exception, they have a power socket for laptops & mobiles, under the berth/seat at one end.[/quote]

The airmini is a compact CPAP that uses a humidity moisture exchanger (HME) instead of a water chamber. It has the ability to work on many different battery factors, most of which will last multiple nights between charges. If a second travel machine and battery is affordable to you, it's a great solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP on rails in Europe
Thanks for that Sleeprider, the Nightjet info was great as it may be useful as a long outward or return leg of any trip...
Regards

John

This message is a natural product and, as such may contain errors, omissions or opinions.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Shout-out to HDM support, even in Europe DocVadr 1 2,094 10-25-2019, 03:29 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Online shops in Europe meetra 1 954 09-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Flying in Europe with full size APAP SteadyAir 16 3,040 07-21-2019, 05:10 PM
Last Post: StevesSp
Sad Help! My bipap experience has gone off the rails! wubisnotanabbreviation 15 2,741 09-18-2018, 04:56 PM
Last Post: wubisnotanabbreviation
  Traveling to Europe Perchdoctor 8 3,814 09-03-2018, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Zorki1c
  Cpapstore in the EU, anyone from Europe know if you can trust? Maldo 0 1,371 10-24-2017, 03:24 AM
Last Post: Maldo
Question EUROPE: Best sites with used CPAP equipment ??? djrem3000 4 1,566 06-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Last Post: djrem3000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.