Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

He ditched his BiPAP for tape
He ditched his BiPAP for tape
Anybody else tried this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YM9Mxg1Bb8
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: He ditched his BiPAP for tape
I can save some folks the time to watch this long-winded video...

A random boomer, not medically trained in any way, is claiming that his severe mixed apnea (central & OSA) is fully treated by ONLY using a piece of k-tape with a little slit over his mouth to sleep.
He ditched his bilevel.
He's going against his doctor's medical advice.

He uses a sleep app and an iWatch to monitor sleep stages and O2 sats.

1. don't trust everything you see on the internet. This isn't likely to work for everyone.
2. I'm glad he feels better.
3. He's trusting data from unverified sources.
4. K-tape might be worth trying for those who use tape with their nasal masks/pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also....

He's a professional YouTuber with 1.2M subscribers, and 159M views of all his videos, who earns revenue for the # of views he gets. His typical video gets about 40-100K views, and this one has 630,000. He has vids with more, but those are the exception. He's showing the same level of expertise with OSA as I would by posting a video of one of my cats. In other words, he's got an interesting anecdote, but it's YouTube content for views,  not sound medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brazen,

Agree with you whole heartedly. Totally ignoring his doctor's advice. Couple of things he didn't mention about the K-tape - you can't keep putting the tape over the same spot without taking a break. Found this out from experience and if you read the info with the true K-tape (not the knock-offs) they tell you that. Also will tell you you may to use alcohol on the spot every so often to clear up the tape residue. Used to go through that with my wife when she was wearing it for her back.

Must be real interesting if you have any type of facial hair as well.

It may work in conjunction with a nasal mask, but from what I have seen, must of the chin straps are still a lot cheaper in the long run.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
What I heard.
He has Severe Sleep Apnea comprised of an unknown breakdown as determined from 2 sleep tests.
None of his masks fit him resulting in overtightening and causing sores, marks, and a mis-alligned jaw.
He had "High" Pressures that I suspect were caused by untreated events most likely flow limitations.
There was no acknowledgment that CPAP therapy is the Gold Standard for Sleep Apnea Therapy.
The BiLevel machine was shear torture because of the high pressures. I always cringe at this because I fully understand how ridiculously low CPAP pressures really are. Yes even these low pressures can cause issues mostly from flow/blowing or in a few cases aerophagia that was never mentioned here.

I am totally confident that if he was willing to work at it the good folks of this forum could have really helped him along.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2022, 09:05 AM)Brazen Wrote: I can save some folks the time to watch this long-winded video...

A random boomer, not medically trained in any way,

>snip<

Why call him a "boomer" and what is the relevance of that?

Also, if you only want to hear from medically-trained people, you're in the wrong place.
Post Reply Post Reply
@StevesSp
I called him a boomer, not because of his age but because of his attitude. 
His video illustrates a belief that he knows better about a medical condition than someone medically trained without any sound research behind his statements. That is a trait of those stereotyped as "boomers".

I come here because because of the data. The expert advice is based on data, independent of age or anecdotal experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Boomers" frequently get characterised in negative ways by some people, but I've never heard the accusation that they typically believe they know more about medicine than doctors. Where did you get that info?
Post Reply Post Reply
Where does one get any information about stereotypes? It's their experience. 
It's my exerience that the stereotypical "boomer" term is used when someone thinks they know better than everyone else. That includes the medical community. 

The term "boomer", as it's used in common language, does not apply to everyone of the boomer generation but, in common language, it does apply to an attitude. 

My intention, using the term "boomer", was to describe the attitude of the speaker in the video. It's accurate in my definition of the term as its used in common language in my community.
If you do not feel it's an accurate descriptive word consider my intention and that your definition may be different.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes well, these days, it seems it's OK to stereotype or use derogatory labels for some demographics only.

'Boomers' seems to be acceptable to some people, also 'Karens'.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  mouth tape cberistain 15 674 02-21-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me) Deborah K. 29 2,585 02-05-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: punkrockcholo
  For chronic mouth leakers using tape and getting mixed results, or even poor results. Expat31 1 400 12-14-2023, 12:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.