Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me)
Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me)
I was having a terrible time finding a mouth tape that worked well but did not hurt like crazy upon removal.  I tried other things, but nothing worked for me.  Finally, I read that applying Milk of Magnesia on the areas where one would apply mouth tape helped to avoid painful removal.  It works!  Even my cheapest tape, Hypafix, which had hurt the most to remove, comes off easily now and without pain!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mouth Tape Trick for Wimps (like me)
Deborah, you should put that in little bottles and label them “ cpap mouth tape remover “
You could make a killing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Laugh-a-lot  Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Deborah, 

That is quite a trick! I will give it a trial. 

Up to now I have applied isopropyl alcohol (70 % aqueous solution, from Amazon) with a pipette on the Cover all Stretch tape in the morning. That dissolves the adhesive, and makes the tape come off easier. It can also be used to remove adhesive residue from the skin. It is a solvent, so it dries out the skin a bit. Be careful with the eyes.

Cheers! And thanks for the tip!
Post Reply Post Reply
Cavilon Durable Barrier Cream... just a dab spread on the taped area protects very well.
Also be sure to pull the tape off across your face instead of out from your face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exclaimation 
Thanks man! And out goes another Amazon order...
Post Reply Post Reply
There is perhaps another way to look at this.

If you have previously found a tape that was easy to remove, but due to weak adhesive properties, just didn't do the job, perhaps try this:-

Instead of simply just closing your mouth and affixing the tape (or pursing your lips first), fold your lips INWARDS so that you lips are not visible, then put the tape on.

I found a seal became just about perfect, and no discomfort

Maybe not for everybody, but perhaps an alternative to think about.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did the tucking lips-in thing for the silicone tape I used to use. It helped some, but I had to switch to stronger tape. My husband does fine with the same silicone tape, but it's not strong enough for me. Rats!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for that, really bad luck. At least you have found your solution to remove the pesky tape.

It just shows we are all different!

I have some powerful tape that I got from the pharmacy called Medipore made by 3M. 

It guaranteed no leaks, but terrible to take off. Ripped my face to pieces. Tried everything I could find to remove: olive oil, Vaseline, washing up liquid, etc.

But luckily for me, the lip folding technique works perfectly, "at the moment"

I am a bit suspicious on the long term on it's continuing efficiency. I would like to have a backup plan.

In remember very well Milk of Magnesia from many years ago available in the UK. Not available here. 

If I go there next year I may try to get some, if it still exists..

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Milk of Magnesia is magnesium hydroxide.  It's also available in France and is called 'lait de magnesie'. According to my search, it is not as easy to find in France, but it is there. You can also buy it from Amazon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DRY MOUTH WAKING ME MCS2014 13 1,771 Yesterday, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Filbert
  mouth tape and nose pillow OR full face mask, pros and cons? SeePak 16 387 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: tobiathan
  [Equipment] wide mouth + high pressure troutdad 1 73 07-22-2024, 03:50 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Symptoms] Dry mouth.. jojo314519 5 274 07-09-2024, 08:50 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  help with dry mouth sleepingbetterinFl 4 195 07-07-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leaks progress through night bamba415 6 438 07-01-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: bamba415
  Severe CSA: my astounding results with mouth taping volty 24 1,716 06-29-2024, 07:03 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.