Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High AHI after neck surgery
High AHI after neck surgery
On 4-24-24 I had an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion surgery. Prior to surgery I was seeing AHI numbers in the 1 and 2 range. Since coming home my numbers have skyrocketed and the last two nights have been in the mid 20s. I am also having a tougher time with the mask. Just wondering if others that have had a neck surgery have similar experiences or if this is to be expected. I mean they did have to shift everything around to reach the spine for the surgery so breathing could be a little impacted by all this. Thanks in advance
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI after neck surgery
I have had 2 anterior and 1 posterior fusions and my AHI is consistantly under 1.
They were done about 15 years ago before I was treated for sleep apnea.
You are right in saying that things are moved around.
I believe that after my seguries my throat was raw and I had a hoarse voice for a while.
Maybe it will take time for complete healing and any swelling to go down.
Any medication that you are on may be affecting your AHI also,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High AHI after neck surgery
(04-30-2024, 04:37 AM)car54 Wrote: I have had 2 anterior and 1 posterior fusions and my AHI is consistantly under 1.
They were done about 15 years ago before I was treated for sleep apnea.
You are right in saying that things are moved around.
I believe that after my seguries my throat was raw and I had a hoarse voice for a while.
Maybe it will take time for complete healing and any swelling to go down.
Any medication that you are on may be affecting your AHI also, 

Yeah I definitely have the raw throat and hoarse voice. I switched from the P30i to the N30i mask last night and my number came down to 8.8. I'll give it a few nights and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] 5 months with CPAP, AHI still too high Looking4Help 1 18 19 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CPAP, Surgery and OSCAR snoozemaster 9 342 7 hours ago
Last Post: snoozemaster
  Vagal Atrial Fibrillation & ResMed F20 Strap Neck MoreBeers 48 3,978 05-07-2024, 07:21 AM
Last Post: MoreBeers
  Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement Fox66 9 328 04-22-2024, 04:08 AM
Last Post: Fox66
  Low OA/H. Still high CA. How to lower them? jakeroviks 1 168 04-21-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 199 04-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 299 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.