Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement
Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement
Just wondering what weight loss might do, i realize its individual, depends om many factors, but just roughly, in general, if you have an BMI of about 35 and gets it down to 23-25, with lets say moderat, to severa apne. I realize many skinny, fit younger people, i guess based on anatomy/airway etc, have apnea (i'm pretty sure i had it mild at least, already before aging/getting fatter) and it's more or less only people with good anatomy, that have gained weight to get milder apne, that sometimes can "get well". However, surely any lowering of apneas and other values could not hur, even if you still definitely need the machine. Are there any examples, practical experiences of this anyone would like to share, just so i can get a bit realistic expectation ? I find i get quite conflicting data from other places on the net, but you guys here i would think have more anecdotal, "real life" sense of weight loss effect. Seems like many who says the are "cured", just dropped their machines, say they feel good, but never confirmed with test (suspect many at least have milder form still, but maybe the contrast to where they were, feels they lost all problems). I have not even gotten my machine or anything, but based on my values, and the fact i have all the small jaws, anatomical stuff + 35 BMI (down från 47 a year ago) i realize i will basically not get off, but i wonder realistic, if i can reach BMI 23-25. I have a Mike Tyson size neck (at his peak, but not muscles :-) of a stupid 20 inches. As i understand you ideally want that under like 17 or something. I realize age is a factor, with sagging after weight loss, im unfortunately 58. Realize you like numbers here, just have a bit of mental issues but lets say I start fråm like tital 35 AHI (65 or something on back, 17 on side), or any other examples. I realize better to just magically loose all weight, get in optimal shape, and then se how you could adjust settings/take new sleep test, but just finding my way of easing into attacking this thing, in a way that works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Realistic effect of weight loss/smaller neck measurement
I used a CPAP instrument, and I had AHI 7-9 with a BMI of 26. After losing some weight and getting down to a BMI of 22, I had an AHI<1. However, I was also more strict about my sleeping position, so these data should be taken carefully. After that, I started to gain weight again, but fortunately, my neck size did not increase, and my AHI is still below 1 in spite of the fact that my current BMI is 25.

Here is my advice on losing weight. The only way to do it is to eat less and become hungry. Then, you start repeating to yourself: The feeling of being hungry is the feeling of being healthy. Repeat it as many times as you can every day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with you completely, that's exactly how i lost 95 pounds in 3,5 month. Doctors (with no clue about nutrition told me if i lost about 20 -25 pounds in a year, that would be great for an old guy like me, 58, ye right ;-). Well, im completely new to all this, have no machine yet, realize more important thing, and a lot to learn, but i actually need to lose another 70 pounds, to get anywhere reasonable, not only for AHI, but other health issues also, For me, it seems to be much of a mental game (i have tons of knowledge with diets, exercise etc, but was in a 15 years absurd slump with food used as drug for all the wrong reasons, so ballooned up to morbidly obese levels) and in the right mindset i seem to have been able to lose a lot.

Any tips on positional sleeping, any devices or ways to "force" only side sleeping ? It seems many devices don't really work, i don't know.  I prefer it anyway, seems to agree with my back, and my back and side AHI ration clearly indicates back is a disaster, but side is 1/5 of problem, at least.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was in a bariatric weight loss to prove surgical necessity, comorbidity of Apnea and COPD diagnosis with obesity. This was in 2016, Max weight was 300 lbs and about 5' 10" at that time, required to have 6 months monitored dietician before 9/2016 bariatric sleeve surgery. Surgical weight was 275 lbs, a year later was at 199. That recovery year has a strict small meal requirement.

In the middle of that surgical recovery year, 3/2017, I'd taken a sleep study. It has 124 Central Apnea and 24 OA, AHI about 74 as I recall. I would have been about 245 lbs then. Some time later, with an average weight of 215, I still had about a 35 AHI.

I don't think it's just me, but unless your AHI was low moderate or less, reasonable weight loss is not too likely to eliminate Apnea or CPAP therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2024, 07:26 PM)Fox66 Wrote: Any tips on positional sleeping, any devices or ways to "force" only side sleeping ? It seems many devices don't really work, i don't know.

See the following posts: 
MedCline Shoulder Relief Wedge and Body Pillow System
Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2024, 07:57 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I was in a bariatric weight loss to prove surgical necessity, comorbidity of Apnea and COPD diagnosis with obesity. This was in 2016, Max weight was 300 lbs and about 5' 10" at that time, required to have 6 months monitored dietician before 9/2016 bariatric sleeve surgery. Surgical weight was 275 lbs, a year later was at 199. That recovery year has a strict small meal requirement.

In the middle of that surgical recovery year, 3/2017, I'd taken a sleep study. It has 124 Central Apnea and 24 OA, AHI about 74 as I recall. I would have been about 245 lbs then. Some time later, with an average weight of 215, I still had about a 35 AHI.

I don't think it's just me, but unless your AHI was low moderate or less, reasonable weight loss is not too likely to eliminate Apnea or CPAP therapy.

Thanks for sharing, but great that it moved the values, and even more great for all the other benefits, to get less heavy i guess. I'm impressed that your weightloss halved your values.
Post Reply Post Reply
You nailed it before you finished asking the question. It's far too individual to tell from my armchair if you will be able to change treatment method following weight loss or not. Some do, most can't. The only thing I can say for certain is that if you want to try you'd better back it up with a proper study and prepare yourself mentally to abide by the results.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2024, 11:26 AM)BoxcarPete Wrote: You nailed it before you finished asking the question. It's far too individual to tell from my armchair if you will be able to change treatment method following weight loss or not. Some do, most can't. The only thing I can say for certain is that if you want to try you'd better back it up with a proper study and prepare yourself mentally to abide by the results.

Sorry if i didn't make things clear enough (English not my first language), I agree absolutely with what you say, i was just curious of what reductions (not limitation), that seems to be possible, not asking because i believe, especially in my one case, to get rid of CPAP, not at all. Losing weight is most definitely necessary for me for other reasons, desipe apnea stuff. If i manage to lose the weight i would just like to take a test to see new values, hopefully, not for any hope of "eliminating"/change therapy or anything. Hope i made myself clear, and i of course understand, it's highly individual, age. tissue elasticity, airway volume, comorbidities etc. Will try to ask more precise questions, thanks for the feedback !
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if you're still on CPAP, best thing you can do is use OSCAR to track your progress. You'll know how it's impacting you close to real time if you review nightly or even weekly as the weight comes off. Then you can adjust your settings to make sure your CPAP is delivering you an appropriate pressure most efficiently.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2024, 03:55 PM)BoxcarPete Wrote: Well, if you're still on CPAP, best thing you can do is use OSCAR to track your progress. You'll know how it's impacting you close to real time if you review nightly or even weekly as the weight comes off. Then you can adjust your settings to make sure your CPAP is delivering you an appropriate pressure most efficiently.

Yes, of course. Have not gotten my system yet, but trying to learn before that. Focus getting a data capable mashing, get OSCAR going, etc. then.. it seems there is abundant resources in this forum to get going. I´m am very patient, and i have figured out that will be key, and ironically i used to work as a chemist in a lab, with very advanced machines, twerking setting, analysing charts etc. From that point I would have many advantages, but since then, i have unfortunately gotten/suffer from a slew of mental stuff, than make the journey, mush harder. So i don't "just" have to navigate my way through the actual practical stuff. I guess hard to explain here, but... well, thanks for the clarification, OSCAR seems to be the holy grail in this journey :-)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 8 804 07-25-2024, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Weld3z
  Long time user, Lost weight AHI going up. Nutshell3160 1 102 07-23-2024, 06:42 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Weight loss prescriptions for sleep apnea?? Lanners 2 231 07-02-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Narcil
  [Equipment] realistic equipment durability... jojo314519 7 358 06-12-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: jojo314519
  Vagal Atrial Fibrillation & ResMed F20 Strap Neck MoreBeers 48 4,461 05-07-2024, 07:21 AM
Last Post: MoreBeers
  High AHI after neck surgery wxmcpo 2 282 04-30-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: wxmcpo
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 350 04-18-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.