Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low OA, Higher CA Scores
Low OA, Higher CA Scores
My AHI is usually under 5, but since using OSCAR I've noticed that I have way more "clear airway" events during the night than obstructive airway events. 

What settings could I change to help this? I have EPR off right now, which I've heard can increase CA. It's amazing that my obstructive events are so low, as that is the goal of CPAP therapy, but I'd also like to keep the central apneas to a minimum as well. 

Here are the last couple nights of sleep on OSCAR:

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low OA, Higher CA Scores
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Do you happen to have your diagnosic sleep study detailed report? You will want this for your personal records anyway, so request it if you currently do not have it. Also you can post it here redacted of personal data. We can help better with that info. Even so, with your current CPAP, keep Ramp off to help keep Centrals/CA down. Since EPR is off, you’re in a compromised therapy state. Skewing settings toward CA reduction will likely compromise Obstructive, Hypopnea, Flow Limit treatment.

For now, maybe try a more narrow pressure range, lowering the high setting. If this becomes an issue that cannot resolved soon, I suggest you consider swapping the AutoSet with a ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto bilevel for better control settings.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you new to therapy?  Did your sleep study indicate that you have a lot of CAs?   If not, and if you are new to therapy, your CAs are likely to be treatment-emergent.  If this is the case then your CAs will lessen or go away in time as you adjust to therapy.

If you don't know what your study showed, set EPR for full-time set at 3.  Your therapy and comfort should improve.  For now, don't worry about the CAs.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using my CPAP since December 1st 2023, so I'm fairly new. I have only been using an SD card and OSCAR for the past week, though, so I am brand new to OSCAR data. 

My sleep study through Kaiser was just an at-home finger test so all the information I got at the time was 16 AHI, and 28 AHI during REM sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
You can still request a print of that detailed report. It's your report, and US HIPAA says you will get it when you request it, or you can report the doctor for this. If requested, they must comply. A minimum, you want this for your own health records.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave's right. Your doctor has to provide a copy to you. In the meantime do set up your EPR.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
same exact experience here - also started in december. super low obstructive AHI and low flow limits but ~3 CA AHI. i reduced my EPR a little and the CAs reduced, but since you already have EPR off, that's not a possibility. at any rate the doctors told me not to worry about this as any AHI < 5 is not clinically significant.

i find that every time i turn, i wake up a little, and CAs occur as i fall asleep again. the CPAP somehow enhances these, probably because it's cleaning out the CO2 too quickly. without the CPAP i see some o2 drops that correlate with every position change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clear Airway (Central Apnea) Events Questions
I have a Resmed AirSense 10.

Pressure set to 11-14, EPR 1, No Ramp 

My AHI after my sleep test was 16, and 28 during REM sleep. With CPAP therapy, it's usually between 3-5. But after using OSCAR for the first time for the past few weeks, I've noticed that my Obstructive Apnea scores are really low, like 0.6, sometimes 0.0. So clearly the therapy is working for my obstructive sleep apnea. 

I've noticed, though, that my Clear Airway or Central Apnea score is the highest every night, and that's what's bringing my average AHI up. Last night my OA was 0.6 and my CA was 4.57.

Two questions - is a CA score around 5 or under OK? And how could I potentially lower it without raising my OA score a lot? Or should I even bother trying to lower it if my OA is being treated? 

Included a screenshot of last night's data plus a zoomed in section showing three Clear Airway events.

Also I should note I always wake up after sleeping 5-6 hours, use the bathroom, and go back to sleep. And my scores are always worse the 2nd half of the night.

I should also note I take Depakote, Seroquel, and Melotonin before bed, and I use THC daily. Which might be wearing off during that 2nd half of the night.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Davaadtron - I have merged your two threads dealing with your therapy into one. We prefer that all posts regarding a member's therapy be located in a single thread to allow for viewing your history. Please use this thread for all further posts that pertain to your therapy. We can change the thread title if you wish.
- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Settings Adjustment for Higher Elevation mawaw1992 0 130 08-25-2024, 09:05 AM
Last Post: mawaw1992
Sad [Treatment] Higher pressure and soft cervical collar not helping FLs/AHI vHungry 5 391 08-16-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AHI is much higher than normal, not sure what's going on. UKFan643 1 191 08-06-2024, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New user, Bad Scores. condition 15 621 07-30-2024, 01:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeptechmaster
  More events + higher pressure in early morning waking me up? Looking for advice! JustG 1 226 07-26-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Diagnosis] Mild OSA diganosis (low AHI, higher RDI) -- Worried and unsure how to proceed Quibly35 1 197 07-25-2024, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Should much higher Clear Airway Index than Obstructive Apnea Index be concerning? hypopneac 11 792 05-15-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: ac123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.