Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort
Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort
Hello everybody,

I have had an RM S9 autoset for many years, and for me it has been the Cadillac of CPAP machines, I just don't notice it and keeps my APH in the 1 - 2 range in total comfort.  I now have an Airsence10 autoset and sleep is hell.

S9
Mode Autoset
Max 11 cmH2O
Min 6.8
No Ramp
EPR Full Time
EPR level 3

Smart start off
Nasal Mask
Standard Tube
RM N10 mask (new silicon insert)
Humidifier - sometimes

The A10 is set up exactly like the S9.  I feel that the pressure is too high all the time, I wake up all the time, when it comes off minimum it is about 9.0cmH2O even when awake and just relaxing for 20 mins.  It seems very aggressive compared to the S9 and drives to a higher pressure than I think is required most of the time.  APH is now 0.3 to 0.9 but I don't need it that low and I dread using it.  I wondered if it may be calibrated incorrectly?  I am also going to change the response from standard to soft to see if that helps.  I find I get much more mask noise  even though I have checked all the joints and humidifier connections.  I also get a slight wheezing noise that seems to follow A10s.  So no issue with controlling the Apnoea just a very poor level of comfort.  

Any suggestions/observations/experiences moving from an S9A to an A10A please?

Regards

Edmund
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort
It could be the difference between an old tired? blower and a newer one in the A10.

Post Daily OSCAR charts so we can see what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update

After reading about a debate on the Board regarding the Resmed Airsense10 'Response' mode (Standard/Soft) and its effect I tried it last night.  Big improvement in comfort and it began to behave much more like my old S9.  Much softer action: slower rate of pressure change, almost felt as though the pressure wasn't just quite enough .  It seems to reduce the proportionate response to the internal set-point generated by the algorithm.  I still think that the problem is with calibration and the measured value - the pressure; but I'm definitely getting closer to what I want.  APH was 1.3 I know that doesn't mean much after one night.  

I also went back to the normal tube not the slimline;  then removed the bend the hospital had put on the machine; put back the humidifier but ran it without water: this made it much much quieter.

I have purchased an oxygen branch for my mask so I can take a piece of tube from it and dip it in a cylinder of water.  If it bubbles when the tube is submerged 11cm then I will know if it's exceeding the set pressure.  The struggle continues, I will put up my chart but I haven't put OSCAR on this PC yet.

Regards

Hypnos
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypnos I appreciate your post very much. I didn't know about the Response Mode.

I've switched to an F&P Evora Full mask. Brand new. I've gone from two beautiful nights to about a week on APAP that was h*ll. I've switched to CPAP and gone from AHI>8 to AHI>2.

So your post is really helpful to me...I'll look for Response Mode.

About 2 years ago I had trouble transitioning from my S9E (22,100 hours) to a brand new S10 autosense for her, set up on apap. It was a rough change.

Dave
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Everything's Great Except My Leak Rate! Well Marbled 1 6 247 07-09-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Well Marbled 1
  Help with moving from Lowenstein APAP to Resmed Bi-Level WisNaeMe 7 698 05-11-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 846 04-19-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Moving from Dreamstation to Aircurve PartsGuy 9 841 02-22-2024, 10:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing AirSense10 Air Noise BNB1023 6 2,561 11-01-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Apnoea when moving between sleep stages? lindylou 2 574 08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: lindylou
  Is there any reason to buy the AirSense 11 when the AirSense10 is still available (an snorin2 4 811 07-27-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.