Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Dilators
Nasal Dilators
Hi, I've been using CPAP full face mask Dreamstation for about 6 years, and yes I have a replacement machine.
I have to use a full face as I'm a mouth breather.  Recent visit to ENT Dr, observed I have very small nasal passages.  Have used nasal strips on and off it the past with intermittent success. 

Investigating Nasal Dilators , there seems to be a plethora of items available many with marketing claims, and others with bad reviews.

Before I go down the road and buy and test, I would be interested in users comments about success and failures for these type of nasal devices and recommendations for which brands/models.  

Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Dilators
no one uses these?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the nasal strips to help before I got on CPAP therapy. Originally started on full face mask too. But later switched to nasal pillows mask since I have trained myself to not mouth breath. The CPAP pressure in the nose also helps tremendously to keep the nasal passages open. Plus they fit inside the nostrils keeping them open wider too. I don't see why the nasal dilators would not help even more but I did not even need to do that. They don't cost much so might be worth trying out and letting us know...

I haven't needed to go back to the full face mask but I was thinking that a hybrid mask that has nasal pillows and mouth covering would also work. Have you tried that?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2023, 12:14 PM)JoeP Wrote: I have used the nasal strips to help before I got on CPAP therapy. Originally started on full face mask too. But later switched to nasal pillows mask since I have trained myself to not mouth breath. The CPAP pressure in the nose also helps tremendously to keep the nasal passages open. Plus they fit inside the nostrils keeping them open wider too. I don't see why the nasal dilators would not help even more but I did not even need to do that. They don't cost much so might be worth trying out and letting us know...

I haven't needed to go back to the full face mask but I was thinking that a hybrid mask that has nasal pillows and mouth covering would also work. Have you tried that?

Hi Joe, thanks for that info.  I did try a nasal pillow some time ago, didn’t work for me but don’t recall if it dilated my nostrils.  I’ll check them out again.   And buy some dilators and try those too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a narrow nasal passage too, that practically blocks most of my left nostril.

Tried a few different nasal dilators, but nasal pillows do a much better job for me (AirFit P10). Using large size pillows which open the nostrils a bit more, and then the air pressure does the rest. Breathing much better with them at night, than without them during the day.

I guess a surgery of some kind may be another solution, but I'm not ready to go that way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2023, 07:52 PM)ppca Wrote: I have a narrow nasal passage too, that practically blocks most of my left nostril.

Tried a few different nasal dilators, but nasal pillows do a much better job for me (AirFit P10). Using large size pillows which open the nostrils a bit more, and then the air pressure does the rest. Breathing much better with them at night, than without them during the day.

I guess a surgery of some kind may be another solution, but I'm not ready to go that way.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I've done some research on these products.  From the reviews it seemed like about 50/50 or so.  It worked well for those that could tolerate it.  The ones it did not work for cited the sharp edges of these dilators poking and prodding inside their nose too bad to be tolerated.  If you decide to try one, take a look at it's architecture - smooth edges or rough?  Look comfortable enough to wear all night?  Some were adjustable also, and they got higher marks for comfort.  I hope this helps.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info, thanks! My left nostril is visibly narrower. Add in allergies and it can be completely restricted. My only weapon against it so far has been a Breathe Rite strip. When one gives up, I clean the adhesive residue off my nose and apply a new strip. I do this within a few minutes or maybe hours if I'm lucky and it stays clear on its own.

That and I take an over-the-counter allergy pill that seems to help. Well, it seems worse if I don't take one, LOL.

It takes a lot more effort to breathe from my nasal when one or both nostrils is even partially plugged. The Breathe Rite strips at least keep me from being a round-the-clock mouth breather.

I'll have a look at these dilators. I actually tried to "invent" one, unaware these things actually existed. Rolleyes Mine used alligator clips <fail!> or bent-crafted paper clips <less painful but not effective either>

-Ed
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you talking about something like this or the metal stents you place in your airway?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2023, 06:05 PM)David Clark Wrote: Are you talking about something like this or the metal stents you place in your airway?

Yes, that’s the type you pictured I’m interested in. Just looking for recommendations on ones that work and are comfortable.

(06-17-2023, 11:24 AM)Jay51 Wrote: I've done some research on these products.  From the reviews it seemed like about 50/50 or so.  It worked well for those that could tolerate it.  The ones it did not work for cited the sharp edges of these dilators poking and prodding inside their nose too bad to be tolerated.  If you decide to try one, take a look at it's architecture - smooth edges or rough?  Look comfortable enough to wear all night?  Some were adjustable also, and they got higher marks for comfort.  I hope this helps.

Good info, thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 1,070 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows Bostonsnow 6 1,285 07-18-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal Congestion Rgn3 16 1,630 05-08-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: hopeforusall
  [Pressure] Nasal IrritTion? NannyRobina 2 648 06-20-2022, 09:30 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Nasal swelling/congestion after 3~5 hrs with CPAP, will steroid nasal spray work? ronragus 7 1,342 03-17-2022, 10:04 AM
Last Post: hegel
  Nasal Pillows vs Nasal Masks, which worked best for you? CorruptAlligator 27 5,541 11-21-2021, 09:29 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Help with nasal cannula. erossco 3 755 09-01-2021, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.