Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New - so many questions
New - so many questions
I was diagnised w/severe sleep apnia in Oct (AHI 37). I started therapy with Resmed Airsense 11 Dec 29. I had very little problem adjusting to the mask - yay.  Started with APAP 7-11. Nasal mask, lots of mouth leaking.  
   Started mouth taping - leaks pretty much under control.  Adjusted easily to tape - yay again.
   My Obstr Apneas hovered anywhere per night in the 20s for both Obstr Apnea and Central.  There were no Central apneas during my in-lab sleep study.  
   After consulting with a polysom. tech person I went from APAP. to CPAP.   I worked my way up to pressures of 15, 16, 17 without EPR.  Still lots of Central aps. Per his suggestion I have added V-Com with a pressure of 16, EPR 2 (tried EPR 1,2,3).  This has helped.  But I can't get consistent nights of low Central and Obstr events.  
   I'm attaching 2 representative nights - with and without Central aps.  Centrals are more the norm.  I've only had 3 nights with AHI under 2.  Mainly 4-6 range.  I don't know how concerned to be about the central apneas, or the obstructive ones either.  It was suggested I might do better with BiPAP to blow off more C02 (I don't understand the technicalities). My original Polysom tech person has ignored me since his suggestion of V-Com which I what brings me here.  I can tell you my snoring has stopped - another huge yay.  
  Please let me know if you need more information to evaluate my situation.  
Thank you!

*** Moderator Note: Corrupted image removed. ***

Images cannot be hosted from a personal computer.  Please either attach them to your post (for CPAP related images only) or use an image hosting service.  For help in attaching images, please review Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New - so many questions
I've tried attaching data as jpegs.  I hope this works!

Post Reply Post Reply
Your therapy is at relatively high pressure, and I assume that is because of persistent obstructive events that have required more pressure to resolve. Based on your charts, there is clustering of obstructive events that may respond to positional apnea awareness and mitigation, allowing the use of lower pressure. I think the V-Com is a scam and is counter-intuitive to my understanding of good therapy practice using pressure support or EPR to resolve flow limitations, and I have not found an example of it being beneficial. Consider that a challenge, I'm still waiting for proof of efficacy. Your obstructive events often cluster or occur in multiple events, which is characteristic of a positional apnea where there is poor cervical alignment, chin-tucking, tall or firm or multiple pillows or sleeping on an incline. All of these can be avoided. We have a wiki article for that. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea

Take a look and let me know what you think. I'd be interested in seeing a chart without v-com if you're using it. Your flow limits are low, so I think you can concentrate on how to improve any positional issues.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, looking at the v-com it would seem to slow the rate of change in pressure.  But you are currently using straight cpap mode which doesn't change pressure.  And if you were using it in apap mode it would defeat the purpose of the changing pressure.

Is that about your take sleeprider?

P.s. when my pressures hit 16ish my lungs hurt the next day, especially when I take a deep breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Matsu1 - According to V-Comm's documentation, the device adds 2.5cm to your exhalation pressure. This is the exact opposite of the EPR option on a Resmed. It is designed to be used with a static pressure setting and not with any EPR.

Looking at your charts, you have the pressure set to provide a 14cm EPAP. Based on V-Comm's documentation, then you could set your pressure to 11.4 or 11.6 and, using this device, achieve the 14cm EPAP pressure.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm back.  I've tried many options, with V-COM, making slow adjustments with different CPAP pressures (between 12 and 16), different EPR, giving each a number of days before switching one factor at a time.  V-COM seemed to help lower OA and CA in the short term.  But over time, my CA's went back up.  

So no more V-COM based on Sleeprider's opininion.  I'd like advice on how to proceed.  One odd thing in comparison with others, I have never had the fatigue symptom. I almost always feel pretty good if I've had at least 7 hours sleep.  I was sent for a sleep study because of snoring.  I don't know how concerned to be with my numbers given I feel pretty good.  

The one difference I notice since beginning CPAP therapy (Jan 1, 2024) is I don't wake up during the night.  I used to wake up 3-4 times through the night.   
Here are the last 3 nights. The "settings" are the same all 3 nights:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Overall, not much has changed. You still have OA events that appear in small clusters. While I normally think of positional issues as causing that, it has been present since your posts in January, and I assume you looked into it. Your event rate remains just over 4/hour which is not all that bad, but it would be nice to see it lower. Your early results at 16/14 with EPR 2 were similar in AHI, but cut the flow limits. I'll trust your judgement in choosing the most effective and comfortable therapy options. Since you don't use EPR it doesn't make sense to pursue bilevel. I really don't have much to suggest in addition to what you have tried.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider.  So in general, you think I shouldn't be too concerned about the Central Apneas?  Do you still see them positionally induced?  I've tried a flatter pillow and staying off my back. Though I confess I have not tried a cervical collar.  
  I appreciate your input!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CSA/What questions laokg 6 111 Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  EPR questions juniper 7 305 04-19-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 220 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 183 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 273 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 403 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 339 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.